2581 - 2600 of 2706 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
As has been said..."looking good."

·
Registered
199 Posts
Let me preface these comments by saying that I carried a handgun for over 20 years in a police uniform holster and I have strong opinions about what works and what doesn't.

I prefer a bit more of a dropped shank in holsters. When I started out, many carried their revolvers higher and while that gives more of a sense of security, it is slower to draw and can interfere with clothes, pack straps, etc. The grip should be at the belt level and no higher, IMO. It should also have a slight cant away from the body in order to clear a zipped jacket. A female shooter needs one with a larger outward cant due to waist and hip differences. The drop loop option will not likely work for the female body and if you ride a horse, an ATV, or cycle; it's too low for comfortable wear.

That holster should have a metal shank that encompasses the belt and descends as a base for the actual holster. The holster should be riveted to the shank with three [minimum] rivets and not screws. Screws can and will back out of the threads leaving your revolver barely hanging on your belt and not acting as a sold base for your draw, should you need the revolver. The same goes for that drop loop option, it's just more leather to get soft and flex on you. A holster should be designed well for a single mode and not be adaptable to different modes of carry.

The butt of the auto pistol or revolver is too close to the wearer. While it may be a sold as a security function for skinny people, people with a bit more mass are going to be unhappy because their body will push the gun and holster outwards; ruining the holster, clothes, and making the wearer miserable during wear.

People tend to love the cotton stitching because of the traditional look, but give me a synthetic everyday. Double stitch in high stress areas and that holster appears to only be single stitched. No sight channel for autos or revolvers. Not a big deal on a fixed sight S&W K frame, but a big deal on an adjustable sight Python. How is the safety strap mounted - a rivet? Stitching? A staple? I'm concerned. No mention is made of leather tanning method used either - a potential problem.

I've never seen Diamond D products, but I'd look for an original Bianchi, El Paso Saddlery, Safariland, Ted Blocker, etc. holster first.
Thanka for all the detail while the holsters at double D seem “neat“. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain and of course you have plenty of experience so I would be a fool NOT to listen. I looked at ElPaso Saddlery and really like the ones I saw on that website. I am going to go that route.

Again thanks for the thoughtful response and taking the time to address this topic.

Best Regards,

Travis

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just walked into my local FFL at lunch time. Hadn't been there in a couple months. I immediately went to the revolver case and was shocked to see a 4" Python sitting there for MSRP. I looked at my son and said "That's coming home with me". I think it was the fastest gun purchase I ever made.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Shocked Armsunlimited is selling for $1,700 over MSRP purchased many guns from them and always stick to the real price. There are plenty out there don't pay $1,700 thats stupid.
Prices from retailers seem to be going up in Canada too.....$2350-$2400. I may have to cancel my deposit....

Dave

2581 - 2600 of 2706 Posts