Colt Forum banner
61 - 80 of 2,993 Posts
Well those things are an abomination to say the “Classic” Smith name. Heck I would pay 3x-4x for an old one before buying one of those lol. I mean that literally if I had to. I said the same thing when Mustangs reintroduced too, everyone said the same, I sold mine immediately. Gun HAS to be close, if not close in appearance then no worries. I reckon no one understands what I’m saying. Peace

I understand big_gus. The new, "Smith Classics" have that safety hole drilled into it's side next to the cylinder latch. I know several people that have passed on them because of that. If this new stainless python really looks this good and has a smooth action, I too think it will hurt the old stainless ones.

Now blued, that is another story. Even Korth has gone to a mattel black finish to keep the price down. IMHO (So I don't have to eat crow later), I think Royal Blue is a lost art at Colt. I do not think that they have craftsmen that can replicate that anymore. I hope that they do not even try, but go the "Korth" route instead. I would rather have a new matte black finish Python then a screwed up Royal finished one.

I don't see the original Pythons plummeting in value. They will remain the original Python with all the mystique (Royal blue finish. hand fitted, etc.) that goes with it.

I see a new market for this Python, and a healthy one at that if the price really is $1500. Mark me down for a couple. And I won't be selling my old Pythons either. As the Meme with the little Mexican girl goes
"Why not both?"
I think there will be a two-tiered market for Pythons...the originals with their own, higher market values with sub-markets broken down by finish, era made, etc. The market for the new Python will be much more based on new and used values...as long as they're in production there will be no reason to place a "collector" market price on them. Should the new Pythons be discontinued at some point then they will still have their own market segment for collectibility.

Colt already sells a Cobra in bright polished stainless ("half way" to Royal Blue). DLC coat a bright polish Python and you'd have a finish arguably as "purdy" as royal blue and more durable to boot. Kimber already does this with their K6S Royal (wonder where they got that name...). It ain't cheap, and I doubt a Pyhton finished that way would be either. But you'd end up with something "close enough" to Royal Blue and demonstrably superior in durability.

Pederosoli, Shiloh, C. Sharps and several others make Sharps 1874 models as good as the originals. It has not caused the value of originals to go down. Most collectors want to collect originals. Most shooters don't care as much, but many also prefer originals. A new Python will be good for some, but not for others. And it won't stop collectors from buying originals. That said, the Python prices have been in a bubble I've been saying for about 6 years, which at some point WILL drop. It won't be because of any new production. It will be changes in American demographics and laws and investment speculation desires.

If all this speculation about a new Python is true, then there is a reason that Colt decided to bring out the new Python in stainless. Colt knows that the most classic pythons are the royal blue ones. But they have chosen to bring it out in stainless, probably because royal Blue would be almost impossible to do on a production basis. I am not saying that Colt can't maybe still do very small runs of bright stainless or royal blue but not on a production run in lots of numbers.

As far as the action goes, if the newstainless python is as smooth and non stacking like the new Cobra's are ............................... I do think the old stainless Python's prices will take a hit.

Discussion starter · #67 ·
I understand big_gus. The new, "Smith Classics" have that safety hole drilled into it's side next to the cylinder latch. I know several people that have passed on them because of that. If this new stainless python really looks this good and has a smooth action, I too think it will hurt the old stainless ones.

Now blued, that is another story. Even Korth has gone to a mattel black finish to keep the price down. IMHO (So I don't have to eat crow later), I think Royal Blue is a lost art at Colt. I do not think that they have craftsmen that can replicate that anymore. I hope that they do not even try, but go the "Korth" route instead. I would rather have a new matte black finish Python then a screwed up Royal finished one.

I just saw this vid yesterday. It gives insight into the 'improved' mechanics of the "Classic" Smiths. This may give some support to whatever new mechanical works are included in the new 2020 Python.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9l2ipiKf4

Looked interesting and I'm watching. They guy starts going long as people do, talking about how he just finished putting in a wood floor, etc. Then I see the runtime: 50 minutes! Almost an hour long vid to learn what...I don't know yet. I wish people realized getting to the point is important in today's busy world.
I agree. I have watched vids(looking for info) of people that just seem to enjoy their own voice. When you squeze it, and if it was a lemon, you would get 1 drop of juice. Jeez!

Rant over. Go about your business. There is nothing to see here.:D

ha! Yeah, I'm an engineer and training designer by trade. Adults want to learn only exactly what they need, and no more. Just in time learning, and just enough. No fluff. A good example of how to do it is that young Rock Island Armory guy that does the Forgotten Weapons vids. Very to the point and no "um...I forgot what this does...er, that's not right...it usually comes right off...oops, dropped the camera..." type stuff you get in other videos.

Discussion starter · #71 · (Edited)
Python is definitely close in appearance from what I can see....

I like the old guy in the video, I can’t help but to wonder what shape those side plate screws are in tho. All the gunsmiths I know have a much different opinion on these “improvements”. In the Firearms industry past 60 years, improvement equals another machining step and/or hand fitting step gone. Most the times it’s both. My comment on different opinions was strictly what was told me by Smiths. He went step by step and explained how the gun got cheaper and then when the MIM stuff came in (mid-late 90s), they became complete junk. He explained why MIM was trash and wouldn’t hold up to people whom actually shoot their guns (few nowadays). The MIM actually started a couple years before the lock. He actually told me he didn’t like to work on Smiths anymore because he couldn’t get a decent part, only stuff from smith new now (MIM), and the Guns keep coming back with same issues. I had a 2.5 inch 66, one of last made in 2000s, and it went to him 3 times in less than 6 months. That was it for me with MIM Smiths.

I’ll admit I’ll buy a prelock Smith MIM once in awhile but not to shoot, just nib pieces to put up basically as there’s some fairly cool little odd variation there. I’ve actually been rethinking that now. If you want to know how to tell if a 2000s or older smith is MIM (all from late 90s to date are), is just look at the cylinder release thumb piece. If it’s triangled in appearance, it’s MIM.

Reactions: WVCOLT and jluelf
If all this speculation about a new Python is true, then there is a reason that Colt decided to bring out the new Python in stainless. Colt knows that the most classic pythons are the royal blue ones. But they have chosen to bring it out in stainless, probably because royal Blue would be almost impossible to do on a production basis. I am not saying that Colt can't maybe still do very small runs of bright stainless or royal blue but not on a production run in lots of numbers.

As far as the action goes, if the newstainless python is as smooth and non stacking like the new Cobra's are ............................... I do think the old stainless Python's prices will take a hit.
Yes there is and there will be a lot of press next month in the rags. This has been planned for some time shall we say. Blued has never been and will never be produced. The writeups in the rags will go into this but the way guns are manufactured now especially this one blue is a no go.

61 - 80 of 2,993 Posts