Colt Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 2578 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
I believe , based off of the imposters posts that there was good intentions. Not federal offenses.. but there is no right way to do the wrong thing.
The first sentence of his first post killed him. Because what he did was over state lines through electronic means -- I could concoct a scenario but agree based on my PM he did not mean any harm intentionally.

·
Registered
287 Posts
So do you know if his info was at least accurate... about the muzzle damage being caused by the clamping method? Honestly... it didn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks DTB. Since you know you have crown issue, no need to post it. Mine is no deal breaker either... but some may issue that has dings right into the lands and grooves - which is the reason for the recessed crown in the first place.. what irony ..
but anyway, I guess I’m building the case to see if pretty much all 3000 6” pythons have the issue most likely. They couldn’t have inspected them AFTER they released them on Jan 1st. And that leaves the decision, in your case especially, to try to get ahead of the crowd and send it back immediately for a possible quick turnaround, or in my case.. wait and see what Colt plans to do about it and hold onto the gun while things are headed for a backlog of giant Python proportions,
So I found a small sliver of metal I thought might have been the problem but it started up again. Will occasionally do it in double action but seems like that generally has enough force to overcome it. Guess we will see how things go tomorrow. Any guess on turn around times?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,608 Posts
As to what frame the new Python is, it's almost certainly not an "I" frame.

I haven't heard what the newer frame designations Colt is making are, since the late 90's "SF" frame as used for the SF-VI, DS-II, and Magnum Carry.
I don't think Colt calls the new Cobra and King Cobra "SF" frames since they are different both externally and internally.
Note that when Colt stopped building the Mark III "J" frame and started making the Mark V frame they named it the "V" frame, and when they simply changed the barrel profile and made it in stainless steel it was named the "AA" frame.

The new Python externally looks virtually the same as the original "I" frame, but Colt didn't use old frame designations for new designs.
The new 2020 Python is internally nothing like the old "I" frame, so I'm fairly sure Colt has a new frame designation for it.

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
No idea, but I’d be on the phone calling Colt customer service (M-F 9-5) until you get an RMA number to go forward with a return. There is only 3000 or less in public hands right now. There will be more very soon, so now is as good as it’s gonna get id guess.
Right now, Busa Dave is our best forum voice of knowledge from the factory. They say there is a quick turnaround due to the new release and they’re building them as we speak. .. but my experience is only Colt customer service is going to know their backlog and I would seriously doubt you’ll get any estimate from them because that’s a win/lose situation for them.. or the person you get may tell you something.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
It's been less than three weeks and have over 160 pages combined of various threads regarding the new Python. Compare that to the thread about Colt hammerless pistols in the semi-auto section of the forum...464 pages since February 2017. The new Python certainly has created some interest!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks DTB. Since you know you have crown issue, no need to post it. Mine is no deal breaker either... but some may issue that has dings right into the lands and grooves - which is the reason for the recessed crown in the first place.. what irony ..
but anyway, I guess I’m building the case to see if pretty much all 3000 6” pythons have the issue most likely. They couldn’t have inspected them AFTER they released them on Jan 1st. And that leaves the decision, in your case especially, to try to get ahead of the crowd and send it back immediately for a possible quick turnaround, or in my case.. wait and see what Colt plans to do about it and hold onto the gun while things are headed for a backlog of giant Python proportions,
So I found a small sliver of metal I thought might have been the problem but it started up again. Will occasionally do it in double action but seems like that generally has enough force to overcome it. Guess we will see how things go tomorrow. Any guess on turn around times?
Probably machining debris.

I'd get some thin gun cleaner spray and hit every crack, gap, and crevice.

Turn it upside down and rightside up while doing it. Hammer back and hammer down. Trigger back and trigger forward.

Cylinder and arbor area too.

Then blow it out with compressed air and relube.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Probably machining debris.

I'd get some thin gun cleaner spray and hit every crack, gap, and crevice.

Turn it upside down and rightside up while doing it. Hammer back and hammer down. Trigger back and trigger forward.

Cylinder and arbor area too.

Then blow it out with compressed air and relube.
And we get to "my" step one in any pistol I buy, new or otherwise, disassemble, inspect, take care of anything that looks out of whack(on the final finish deparment only), clean, lube, reassemble and shoot it. Only then, complain if it does not perform as expected.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey everyone,

Just back from a fairly large LGS. I ordered the 4.25 inch Python. They told me it would be about 2 months before it arrives. Price was $1499.

They have one 6 inch Python on display and they let me handle it. The reports about the action are true, no stacking what so ever. Short and easy pull and then break.

Next, I closely inspected the muzzle and crown, flawless, not a nick to be found.
I asked if I could take pictures but they politely asked me not too.

Looking back at my experience, I should have at least captured the serial number, my bad.

Thanks,
Karl

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Python1 (2).jpg
Just picked mine up S/N PY0026XX. I don't see any issues with the muzzle/crown and while I haven't fired yet, everything seems to be functioning correctly. I don't feel any stacking in the trigger pull, just smooth. The only reason I got one is that a couple of dozen pages ago somebody mentioned Sportsman's Warehouse so I started checking out their web-site and I got REALLY lucky to have run into one available on the 8th, discovered that they have a store about 40 minutes from my house in Altoona, PA. I got the email this morning that it arrived. I'd like to thank whoever brought them up (sorry, I don't want to go through all the pages).

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Hey everyone,

Just back from a fairly large LGS. I ordered the 4.25 inch Python. They told me it would be about 2 months before it arrives. Price was $1499.

They have one 6 inch Python on display and they let me handle it. The reports about the action are true, no stacking what so ever. Short and easy pull and then break.

Next, I closely inspected the muzzle and crown, flawless, not a nick to be found.
I asked if I could take pictures but they politely asked me not too.

Looking back at my experience, I should have at least captured the serial number, my bad.

Thanks,
Karl
Karl, were they asking $1,499 for the 6" they had on display?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Does anyone think the 4.25” will be more desirable then the 6”? Only because it is a somewhat odd size.
On new model introductions and even existing ones it will be changing due to some countries laws not allowing pistols of 4in or under this may just be the new 4in. :)

1021 - 1040 of 2578 Posts