Colt Forum banner

1601 - 1620 of 2694 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
In related news, a co-worked I'm mentoring into shooting has been building up a nice collection of .22, 9mm, and recently .45 ACP pistols. After much reading, visiting my modest collection etc., he decided on a 3" unfluted cylinder S&W 686 as his first revolver. It was not a cheap gun.

He called shortly after picking it up asking if he could stop by to show it to me. I could tell by the tone of his voice something was wrong. That led to me seeing my first canted barrel S&W revolver in person. It looked fine from the side, but was glaring when viewed from the top.

Of course there aren't going to be endless youtube videos about it, video responses from S&W, and so on. It's a known problem with current S&Ws, but they are still held to a lighter standard than Colt.
Well it's also the reboot of Colt's premium flagship revolver, released using new manufacturing methods and a time when a LOT of firearm brands' quality has suffered. It's going to be scrutinized more heavily than anything Colt has produced maybe ever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As it should IMO.

Well it's also the reboot of Colt's premium flagship revolver, released using new manufacturing methods and a time when a LOT of firearm brands' quality has suffered. It's going to be scrutinized more heavily than anything Colt has produced maybe ever.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
I have no problem with the new Python receiving tough scrutiny...it's that so many other guns from other manufacturers don't get the same scrutiny. I've never understood why but there's a lot of Colt hate out there and has been for a long time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well said

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have no problem with the new Python receiving tough scrutiny...it's that so many other guns from other manufacturers don't get the same scrutiny. I've never understood why but there's a lot of Colt hate out there and has been for a long time.
But, there's also a lot of love for the Colt mystique. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly. But I still love Colt.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
I agree ^^^^^^. I guess it goes along with >>> When your the BEST you got to prove it everyday/everytime.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So the rear sight windage adjustment involves loosening the setscrew and then manually adjusting the position of the site blade in the slot? Not click adjustable?
There is another screw you turn and that changes the position of the windage. I did not feel any clicks. But I will say it moves very nice and is extremely easy to make fine adjustments and hold the new position while the set screw is tightened.
DF0EAF30-7459-4647-980B-8CCF593774DB_1580305811511.jpeg

·
Registered
470 Posts
Posted on another gun forum:

My friend ordered a new Colt Python and it came in yesterday. I went with him to pick it up. The LGS had him open the sealed box, it came straight from the distributor. Before he got the plastic off we could see the large screw on the left was missing, the one with the detent that holds the crane in, I believe. We also saw that the grip screws were buggered, likely with an improperly sized screwdriver. The dealer called Colt, but a 33 minute wait on hold put him into the voicemail center.

We checked the box thoroughly, no screw or detent pin.

Reply to the post by another member:

Interestingly, two friends and I were at a gunshop in Lexington last Thursday when the same thing happened. The counter man is a retired police officer that I went to the academy with. He opened the box, the screw was missing, and it was not to be found anywhere in the box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
^^^
Well, doesn't that just take the cake for a silly mistake?

I guess Colt is trying to bang these things out at breakneck speed - which is understandable - but there's no excuse for stuff like that.

·
Registered
789 Posts
"My friend ordered a new Colt Python and it came in yesterday. I went with him to pick it up. The LGS had him open the sealed box, it came straight from the distributor. Before he got the plastic off we could see the large screw on the left was missing, the one with the detent that holds the crane in, I believe. We also saw that the grip screws were buggered, likely with an improperly sized screwdriver. The dealer called Colt, but a 33 minute wait on hold put him into the voicemail center.

We checked the box thoroughly, no screw or detent pin."

That is just unbelievable and reinforces my personal rule to NEVER BUY A CURRENT COLT WITHOUT FIRST DOING A HANDS-ON INSPECTION OF THE GUN. I wonder how screw-ups like this can even occur. Best wishes for a happy conclusion.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
That is unforgivable from any gun maker...how many hands did that pass through at the factory? There was the assembly tech...the test fire person...any number of inspectors...the person who wrapped it up and placed it in the case...and all missed it? Without more evidence it's pretty easy to say it was deliberate sabotage by at least one employee but most likely lazy employees and inspectors.

If it happened to more than one revolver as seems to be the case...it's probably the same people involved and all should be dismissed for cause and the union should not be averse to that...only to make sure those fired were done so by the book. It hurts the entire company and employees. If any revolvers like that were sent to a gun magazine for test and review it could be catastrophic.

For Colt...in the middle of an attempted comeback...this is ridiculous and management should be diligent in weeding out all these problems hurting the new Python's launch.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Question for those "in the business": Don't FFL's typically open incoming shipments to log the firearm details (e.g. verify the serial number) into their records before they are transferred to the end buyer? If so, do distributors also have to do this? I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but an end customer opening a "sealed box" directly from the factory for the first time at an FFL doesn't match how things are done at any FFL I've ever used for transfers.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have never seen any extra hate for Colt over S&W or other revolver manufacturers. Colt and S&W have always been the two big revolver names for me, and I would have trusted either the same. I owned a new Ruger before guns from either of the other two, and as great as it was, I still thought of Colt and S&W as the top two to trust. My first two pre-1960 revolvers were S&W, and then I bought two pre-1970 Colts. As far as quality, none of the four did anything to change my opinion about Colt and S&W.

But I have to admit, my new S&W's are pretty much flawless. I wasn't too concerned about the crown or cylinder problems, but the missing screw is different. To me, there is no way the gun was test-fired without the screw. It pretty much has to be sabotage just prior to shipping, doesn't it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine was opened in front of me, and it did not look like that. No zip tie either.

They did note the S/N from the outside label, but they had to verify it after I opened it and inspected it.

Seems weird. Like it maybe failed inspection and was held together with the tie until the screw was replaced.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Posted on another gun forum:

My friend ordered a new Colt Python and it came in yesterday. I went with him to pick it up. The LGS had him open the sealed box, it came straight from the distributor. Before he got the plastic off we could see the large screw on the left was missing, the one with the detent that holds the crane in, I believe. We also saw that the grip screws were buggered, likely with an improperly sized screwdriver. The dealer called Colt, but a 33 minute wait on hold put him into the voicemail center.

We checked the box thoroughly, no screw or detent pin.

Reply to the post by another member:

Interestingly, two friends and I were at a gunshop in Lexington last Thursday when the same thing happened. The counter man is a retired police officer that I went to the academy with. He opened the box, the screw was missing, and it was not to be found anywhere in the box.

Love Colt but must say that is quite uncalled for. I mean that should have been caught by QC. ^^^^

1601 - 1620 of 2694 Posts