Colt Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 2578 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Never see a gun, from ANY manufacturer, come out of a sealed box with a zip tie on the action. Ever. What I have seen, at plenty of gun shows and gun stores, are firearms with zip ties on them to prevent prospective buyers from dry firing and/or working the action.

Welcome to Colt Forum. This new Python has drawn many new Forum members.
That’s also what I’m saying.,. Guns don’t leave factories with tie wraps.

Also, no guns from Colt go straight to a gun shop dealer. They all go to distributors is my understanding.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Would the nylon tie be an internal way of identifying a gun not to be shipped out and to return to the shop for repair? If so it could have accidentally been shipped. As much as I hate seeing such stupid, unforced errors on the part of Colt there has to be a reason behind it...whether an innocent mistake or poor quality control it needs to be investigated and corrected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the welcome. I have been following this release closely and from what I can tell Colt has hit a grand slam. I'll admit I'm a die hard Smith fan when it comes to wheel guns but I would love to add a Colt, and I am wanting a modern one with a warranty and access to spare parts.

Never been a 6" guy so the 4.25" will be on my radar when it arrives. Heck I hope they release it in Ion bond someday :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Posted on another gun forum:

My friend ordered a new Colt Python and it came in yesterday. I went with him to pick it up. The LGS had him open the sealed box, it came straight from the distributor. Before he got the plastic off we could see the large screw on the left was missing, the one with the detent that holds the crane in, I believe. We also saw that the grip screws were buggered, likely with an improperly sized screwdriver. The dealer called Colt, but a 33 minute wait on hold put him into the voicemail center.

We checked the box thoroughly, no screw or detent pin.

Reply to the post by another member:

Interestingly, two friends and I were at a gunshop in Lexington last Thursday when the same thing happened. The counter man is a retired police officer that I went to the academy with. He opened the box, the screw was missing, and it was not to be found anywhere in the box.

I find the zip lock thing highly suspect.

Is it possible that this gun was delivered to someone who showed or intended to show it at a show, messed with it by taking it apart, buggering the grip screws and losing the crane screw and somehow returned it to a dealer or distributor and it was then somehow sold or delivered new to someone else?

Without the crane screw in place, couldn't the cylinder fall out when it was opened at the factory to load it for test firing?

Karl

·
Registered
180 Posts
Maybe the distributor took it to a show/promo event and afterwards shipped as inventory? I have never seen guns leaving factory with zip ties. But zip ties are very common at gun shows.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Maybe some Colt hater pulled a fast one , ya never know .
i think it’s ridiculous to think it made it out of West Hartford.
More than one idiot would have to be involved.

i think the zip tie is the red flag , and makes it even more unbelievable.

i have been seeing zip ties for years on “ brand new Colts “ online & person ..... joke !

i still LOVE my crown flawed snake , would make the purchase again in a heartbeat.
Now where’s my black 4 n a quarter shooter ?

·
Premium Member
7,335 Posts
My understanding it that the new pythons are being extremely scrutinized and QC has greatly increased.. and it has affected the release with a longer wait for the next batch.. which are the 4” pythons being built. I just can’t see one gun shipping out by itself and then being not really completing assembled to boot. To my knowledge, the only new pythons being available for purchase are auction guns still stemming from the first batch assembled. This means that 6” python has been in someone else’s possession for as much as a month now.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
My understanding it that the new pythons are being extremely scrutinized and QC has greatly increased.. and it has affected the release with a longer wait for the next batch.. which are the 4” pythons being built. I just can’t see one gun shipping out by itself and then being not really completing assembled to boot. To my knowledge, the only new pythons being available for purchase are auction guns still stemming from the first batch assembled. This means that 6” python has been in someone else’s possession for as much as a month now.
So happy to hear that Colt is realizing how important this release is and is now watching them much closer in the QC department.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Question for those "in the business": Don't FFL's typically open incoming shipments to log the firearm details (e.g. verify the serial number) into their records before they are transferred to the end buyer? If so, do distributors also have to do this? I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but an end customer opening a "sealed box" directly from the factory for the first time at an FFL doesn't match how things are done at any FFL I've ever used for transfers.
100% agree. The “Pre Delivery Inspection” should be the responsibility of the dealer. The factory will miss things. They always have and always will.

To put it in perspective we received a brand new Porsche 911 (back in the 996 days) that had different color seats and seat belts... seriously no one at the factory noticed one was tan and the rest of the interior was black??? Lol it happens boys. BUT we inspected every single car so the CUSTOMER never seen or realized his dream car came F’d up from Germany.

Do I expect a gun dealer to inspect every single
Gun? Well... yes I do. It’s all part of the quality control network and being an authorized dealer.

Shame on Colt... but also shame on the LGS people that don’t inspect a product before they put it in the hands of their customers. A simple once over and work the action a few times would catch things like this. This type of miss makes everyone look bad.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I’ll be dammed... just read more.

Zip Tie??? suspect for sure. I only have a sample size of 1 but mine did not come with a zip tie.

All the more reason for a pre delivery inspection before the customer gets their hands on it.

On a more positive note. I fired some
Hand loads through mine last night... using various powder charges it seemed to enjoy the heavier charge weights more, all of the 10 shot groups were good, but I have some
Fine tuning to do yet. All groups were fired from a distance of 20’.

Federal Brass, CCI 500 primer, FMJHP, Bullseye Powder.

6FAE4752-003A-4747-A0FF-B10DDA9D6411_1580396336533.jpeg
1862AE5F-D49A-419C-A16E-AB249E78EC54_1580396373112.jpeg
B3547206-60B3-4FF5-BFF3-76116DAF9DE8_1580396425774.jpeg
5D786493-2F63-4335-847D-8959393F88B9_1580396453248.jpeg
91D4BBA5-56E1-4EFB-8C9D-B95DC181FA19_1580396476149.jpeg

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have no problem with the new Python receiving tough scrutiny...it's that so many other guns from other manufacturers don't get the same scrutiny. I've never understood why but there's a lot of Colt hate out there and has been for a long time.
I scrutinize EVERY gun I buy... especially Ruger... since it seems there's a 1 in 3 chance they will have a problem.

I don't worry too much about S&W anymore... since I don't buy anything with a lock.

I don't know if I would call it "Colt hate"... but over the last couple decades... there has been considerable "disappointment" and letdown.

When things settle down with the new Python... I will be buying one as a "shooter"... and it will be gone over with a fine toothed comb... much like the rest of what I own.

·
Registered
287 Posts
As far as the Python with the buggered grip screws and missing crane screw...

The zip tie is definitely a gun show thing. It probably didn't sell at the show... and was sold online to the dealer that received it.

With me being the "suspicious type" ... I suspect this revolver was purchased by one of the internet "reviewers"... and they either got too curious about how it was built... or had problems with it.

So it was at least partly disassembled... and something went wrong.

I do not think this was a brand new gun when shipped to the receiving dealer... and shame on them for not doing their homework.

Edit:

Especially if the dealer got it for a price that was "too good to be true". Same goes for the buyer too.

Either way... the final dealer that sold this gun is responsible now... and the buyer should have the option to reject it... and get a refund.

Unless it's too late for that. 😞

1621 - 1640 of 2578 Posts