Colt Forum banner

Python 2020

612K views 3K replies 306 participants last post by  dsk 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, the 'Yankee Marshall' of YouTube announced today that Colt dealers already have the new Python but the release for sale is set for January, 2020.

I post it in the lounge because until this FYI is verified, it's not Python category worthy.
Thanks

#46 · (Edited)
At first I thought the picture was a hoax, like an air soft dressed up. If that is the New Python, and it looks the part, it is a new action from the old python. That was a given tho. Also it’s not an old python dressed up because notice the side plate screw, same as the new KC’s. I can’t enlarge the picture to get better looks, but IF it’s real, those with stainless pythons are going to be hurting. It’s surprising how close that gun looks. Of course action will not be hand fitted like old, but 90% of python buyers only care about looks. Actually 75% of python buyers are only “keeping up with the Jones”. If that’s it, stainless pythons will nose dive to no more than 50% more than this one costs. Short barrels will stay strong until they introduce those. Then grown men will feel like crying that sank near 10k or more in them. This is all IF that’s the New Python. It almost looks too close to be true. I’m not buying it just yet (the picture :)). Also I’ve looked at the king cobra target compared to this. This one is definitely a larger frame.

Reactions: BusaDave and jluelf
#55 ·
I don't see the original Pythons plummeting in value. They will remain the original Python with all the mystique (Royal blue finish. hand fitted, etc.) that goes with it.

I see a new market for this Python, and a healthy one at that if the price really is $1500. Mark me down for a couple. And I won't be selling my old Pythons either. As the Meme with the little Mexican girl goes
"Why not both?"

#58 · (Edited)
Mustangs before re-introduction 1000-1500 anib. Saw one recently guy couldn’t get 600 with the box. Now I’ll say again, if it looks virtually identical to to pythons, STAINLESS Pythons will dive. I made no mention of blue, yet... Colt will have to reintroduce the same variation before others will drop imo to no more than 50% more than these in same barely length, finish Colt makes AND it must be near identical. The originals will always bring a premium 4000 vs 1500 for a 4 or 6 inch stainless, no those days will be gone. The flip side is the New King Cobra just simply makes me want to go buy an old one lol. I dislike it that much :). Just have to see how well Colt made this horse. I would have never thought they could potentially get it that close. The mustang was very close to original in looks. I’ve also been eating a lot of crow lately by saying “never”. I also said Colt would never make the python again. Well I’m ready for another Heaping Helping, I have my fork, knife, and bib ready :). All this is just assumption, I probably shouldn’t say anything till I see it, normally I wouldn’t but that picture had me a bit stunned. The blue pythons will be the safest imo, for 2 reasons. Colt won’t replicate that imo. A guy with ties to Colt used to tell me, the blue pythons require the most work. Think Bright Stainless THEN bluing. That’s basically what a Royal Blue is. Second is blued never got near as high.

Reactions: jluelf and scstrain
#60 · (Edited)
Well those things are an abomination to say the “Classic” Smith name. Heck I would pay 3x-4x for an old one before buying one of those lol. I mean that literally if I had to. I said the same thing when Mustangs reintroduced too, everyone said the same, I sold mine immediately. Gun HAS to be close, if not close in appearance then no worries. I reckon no one understands what I’m saying. Pythons are one of my favorite guns of all time, everyone should know that. I liked before before most everyone else. I think pricing got ridiculous but to each their own.

#61 · (Edited)
Well those things are an abomination to say the “Classic” Smith name. Heck I would pay 3x-4x for an old one before buying one of those lol. I mean that literally if I had to. I said the same thing when Mustangs reintroduced too, everyone said the same, I sold mine immediately. Gun HAS to be close, if not close in appearance then no worries. I reckon no one understands what I’m saying. Peace

I understand big_gus. The new, "Smith Classics" have that safety hole drilled into it's side next to the cylinder latch. I know several people that have passed on them because of that. If this new stainless python really looks this good and has a smooth action, I too think it will hurt the old stainless ones.

Now blued, that is another story. Even Korth has gone to a mattel black finish to keep the price down. IMHO (So I don't have to eat crow later), I think Royal Blue is a lost art at Colt. I do not think that they have craftsmen that can replicate that anymore. I hope that they do not even try, but go the "Korth" route instead. I would rather have a new matte black finish Python then a screwed up Royal finished one.

#63 ·
Colt already sells a Cobra in bright polished stainless ("half way" to Royal Blue). DLC coat a bright polish Python and you'd have a finish arguably as "purdy" as royal blue and more durable to boot. Kimber already does this with their K6S Royal (wonder where they got that name...). It ain't cheap, and I doubt a Pyhton finished that way would be either. But you'd end up with something "close enough" to Royal Blue and demonstrably superior in durability.

#64 ·
Pederosoli, Shiloh, C. Sharps and several others make Sharps 1874 models as good as the originals. It has not caused the value of originals to go down. Most collectors want to collect originals. Most shooters don't care as much, but many also prefer originals. A new Python will be good for some, but not for others. And it won't stop collectors from buying originals. That said, the Python prices have been in a bubble I've been saying for about 6 years, which at some point WILL drop. It won't be because of any new production. It will be changes in American demographics and laws and investment speculation desires.

#65 · (Edited)
If all this speculation about a new Python is true, then there is a reason that Colt decided to bring out the new Python in stainless. Colt knows that the most classic pythons are the royal blue ones. But they have chosen to bring it out in stainless, probably because royal Blue would be almost impossible to do on a production basis. I am not saying that Colt can't maybe still do very small runs of bright stainless or royal blue but not on a production run in lots of numbers.

As far as the action goes, if the newstainless python is as smooth and non stacking like the new Cobra's are ............................... I do think the old stainless Python's prices will take a hit.

#70 · (Edited)
ha! Yeah, I'm an engineer and training designer by trade. Adults want to learn only exactly what they need, and no more. Just in time learning, and just enough. No fluff. A good example of how to do it is that young Rock Island Armory guy that does the Forgotten Weapons vids. Very to the point and no "um...I forgot what this does...er, that's not right...it usually comes right off...oops, dropped the camera..." type stuff you get in other videos.

#71 · (Edited)