Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,I stumbled upon this Python, serial number 2282. It has a factory letter. The gun is single action only. If you pull the trigger with the hammer down, the cylinder rotates but the hammer doesn't move. I was told this was done at the factory as a target gun. Could that be true? What is the consensus on this guns value?G

Attachments

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
If you have a Colt Archive letter and Colt converted it to single action-only, the letter will say so.
If the letter doesn't mention it, it's at least possible the gun was sent back to Colt for the conversion, in which case they will have no records about it.
However, it's most likely this is something a previous owner did by just removing the double action strut from the hammer.

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
+1 on what the MVP said. If it is factory original, the letter WILL state it. If not then that detracts from the gun Tremendously. Also it does not have the original grips either. I have no idea of the condition from the pic, but if the "factory" letter states it is single action only, then its worth ALOT, even without the original grips. Also if letter does state single action and you have to pay " a bunch" for it, I would get the expedited service from the Colt Archives department because letters are faked too. If the letter with the gun now does not state anything about Single Action don't worry about the expedited service because it would be a waste of money and time.

By the way unless letter states it is "1959", # 2282 should be 1957.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1 on what the MVP said. If it is factory original, the letter WILL state it. If not then that detracts from the gun Tremendously. Also it does not have the original grips either. I have no idea of the condition from the pic, but if the "factory" letter states it is single action only, then its worth ALOT, even without the original grips. Also if letter does state single action and you have to pay " a bunch" for it, I would get the expedited service from the Colt Archives department because letters are faked too. If the letter with the gun now does not state anything about Single Action don't worry about the expedited service because it would be a waste of money and time. By the way unless letter states it is "1959", # 2282 should be 1957.
Thanks guys,The letter does "not" state anything about single action but is says that it was sent back to them in 1959 and shipped to a gun shop in 1963. What do you make of that? 4 years at Colt?????

Glenn

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
Thanks guys,The letter does "not" state anything about single action but is says that it was sent back to them in 1959 and shipped to a gun shop in 1963. What do you make of that? 4 years at Colt?????

Glenn
I honestly don't know what to make of that,,, not 4 years at Colt, maybe someone else does... Python probably is from 1957 since it was sent back in "1959". Can you get a pic of the letter and post? This would help alot. Are you sure it is a Colt Archive Letter or maybe something else?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I honestly don't know what to make of that,,, not 4 years at Colt, maybe someone else does... Python probably is from 1957 since it was sent back in "1959". Can you get a pic of the letter and post? This would help alot. Are you sure it is a Colt Archive Letter or maybe something else?
I'll see if I can get a pic of the letter tomorrow!G

·
Registered
502 Posts
Looks like it has a Patridge front sight as well; I didn't think those were offered in the 50's. I would speculate the gun was modified (SAO and front sight).

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Even with that letter, a future sale requires the seller to explain that the modifications are probably factory and the buyer has to convince himself of the same. I try to avoid guns like this unless they are priced like the modifications are non-factory. The vast majority of buyers are the same way. Guns like this that require an explanation are deucedly difficult to move unless bargain priced, most of the time. Buy it if you like it, but understand you may have trouble getting rid of it if you need to down the road.

Still a neat piece, though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree. Just wanted to know some opinions. I have #284 so this one isn't that important to me. 284 is almost MINT and this one isn't anywhere near what I usually buy (condition wise) so I'm gonna pass.G

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
slotbike,what kind of money were they asking for it?I would be interested in it for the right price.Replacing the front sight and returning it to DA shouldn't be that involved providing they aren't asking dumb money for it.D*

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
I'd be tempted to contact Colt with an email or letter and ask if they have any information on why the gun was returned and why it stayed at Colt for those years before being shipped to another buyer.

Sounds like the gun was shipped the second time to a company on special order by a buyer.
That may well indicate a special order gun, possibly with a single action-only trigger, although I'd think the letter would indicate that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
slotbike,what kind of money were they asking for it?I would be interested in it for the right price.Replacing the front sight and returning it to DA shouldn't be that involved providing they aren't asking dumb money for it.D*
Around $2000.00

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sold on like that on Gunbroker and it brought $2600. No letter and no single action, same front sight though.
The issue is the single action conversion. "If" I could verify that it was done at the factory, then it's a different ballgame. Without that verification, who knows what the story is with this!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
If the bluing is in good shape $2000 isn't an unreasonable asking price or even a purchase price for that matter.I would send it to Frank Glenn to get it returned to DA and the front sight replaced.After that if you wanted to sell it I would not say anything about the Colt letter it would only muddy the water.I hope I'm not coming across as being dishonest,that's not my intent.If the new owner knows anything about Colt's I don't think the letter would bother them although it does raise more questions than it offers answers.D*

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Speculation: The gun was shipped to the first location as a one-gun "sample," and returned to Colt when the "sample' was no longer needed. It then just sat there until someone found it and shipped it out years later. Or not. That letter is a new one on me. I have a Colt that was sent to Camp Perry for the Colt account, but was then returned to Colt later that year and shipped out to the ultimate buyer. This Python does not fit a Colt factory account shipment scenario.

I further speculate that the single action mechanism is not factory. Removing the side plate would reveal whether the strut has been removed, or whether the mechanism is a factory-style mechanism. If it is the correct single action style, then it was likely done at Colt, but when would remain unknown.

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
If the bluing is in good shape $2000 isn't an unreasonable asking price or even a purchase price for that matter.I would send it to Frank Glenn to get it returned to DA and the front sight replaced.After that if you wanted to sell it I would not say anything about the Colt letter it would only muddy the water.I hope I'm not coming across as being dishonest,that's not my intent.If the new owner knows anything about Colt's I don't think the letter would bother them although it does raise more questions than it offers answers.D*
I would leave the letter with the gun, because almost guaranteed with any 1957 Python, the buyer will order another letter for $75. Especially when spending that type of money because $500+ stocks would need to be added (if you are going to do it right), then with the work/expense/time spoken of will tack on probably at least another $1000 to that "around $2k" purchase price.
If me I would leave the gun as is with the letter and find out 100% certain that it is not a factory conversion. We already know it didn't come originally from the factory "special order" which is were the "Big Money" would be at. I agree most likely it is aftermarket conversion (simply looking at the screws, if "buggered" some, will give some indication of that imo), but with that letter there is always a small chance it was. Then when find out for sure it isnt factory conversion, then change it back to DA, the letter still adds a bit of an unusual cool factor imo. Just my 2 cents :).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts