Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone see anything wrong with this Python 41 that is on GunBrokers?I notice it's made in 1974 and it's an e-nick gun,box is wrong,as is the Python manual which says only Python and dated,,looks like 1978...Maybe it should be a nickel gun and they redone it in e-nick,which is a lot easier then the old traditional style of triple nickel plate.
Auction # 46577913

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
In talking to the owner, this is not the only one he has in his possession.
He also told me that Colt would not letter the gun.
I'm a little concerned.
I will not be bidding on this item.
Good luck if anyone here does.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Colt won't letter the revolver because no factory Python was ever chambered in .41 magnum. The factory won't even touch that revolver again as it's not rated for that cartridge. Some gunsmith in Texas was doing the conversions and when the heat got on him about the conversions he disappeared in the night.
It's rare as you don't see many of them, but none of them are original (and possibly dangerous with full power loads).

·
Registered
991 Posts
What Majic says is what I've always heard. This is the first one I've seen. I believe dfariswheel once mentioned Colt suffered through some unwarranted law suits because of these. I wouldn't touch that pistol with a ten foot pole.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If you search the Forum,we had a lively discussion on the feasibility of a .41 Magnum "conversion" a while back.

As I pointed out then,I did a detailed study,along with a veteran 40 year gunsmith of converting and E/I frame to the 10 mm auto round. Even this smaller diameter cartridge would have left the cylinder with paper thin walls!!

Python would have made a nice .41 mag or 10 mm shooter---WITH A 5 SHOT CYLINDER!!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I know, I know, it's rife with errors, but just to make matters worse, the Blue Book does claim "There were also a few Pythons mfg. in .256 Win. Mag. (circa 1961), .38 Spl. (Python Target), .41 Mag., and .44 Spl. cals."

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Curious, Blue Book mension al kinds of calibers in there feast of errors, but doesn't make the mistake of the one in .22LR or .22 Mag. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,800 Posts
Colt DID make "a few" Pythons in 256 (one actually) and a few in .41 Magnum, and possibly in .44 Special.

The problem is, there WERE just a few, and they never left the plant.

The .256 was an experimental. It was fired ONE shot. It locked the cylinder up tight, and to quote the source, "After that, it was tossed into Colt's fabled Pattern Room vault where it still is".

The .41 Magnum was made in a "few" test models (about two) for a big distributor. Colt second thought the idea and retrieved both guns from the distributor. They never again saw the light of day.

I've never hear all the details of the .44 Special version, but they too never never left the plant.

I'm not 100% sure Colt ever actually made a .22 Python, since the sole and only picture was a artist's DRAWING of a Python marked .22LR on the front of a catalog.
No actual photo has ever been seen, and no one I've ever heard of has ever actually seen a Python chambered in .22LR at the plant.

The story about the .41 Magnum Pythons is well known.
They were a custom conversion by a gunsmith in Florida??.
When the guns began to blow apart, Colt began to get letters, guns, and threats from people who had bought them from the original owners as "factory original".

Colt traced the builder down and he "lit a shuck" in front of a posse of Colt and gun owner's lawyers.

If you look at the referenced auction, you can just make out the slightly dished, out of round barrel where the original stamps were removed and the new .41 Magnum stamps were placed.

Bottom line, there are NO known FACTORY ORIGINAL Pythons outside the Colt factory in any caliber except .357 and .38 Special.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
So, one has to think that all this lore makes these quite collectible, factory or not. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
This was from my notes on the Python from the referenced article by Ayoob. This article also mentions some of the other calibers that were experimented with by Colt. Thought you might be interested. I am sure I saved this issue, but it would take me a while to find it.

American Handgunner Magazine: Sept./Oct. 1992 issue, No. 100.

Article: 40 years with the Colt Python
Author: Massad Ayoob
Pages: 72-77, and 140-143

Commercial production of the Colt Python started in 1955, two years after development started.

A .22 LR version of the Colt Python was initially produced experimentally. But, due to the weight and balance of the gun that resulted, Colt determined that it was not a companion piece to the Python. The .22 LR version of the Officers’ Model Target revolver more closely approximated the feel and balance of the Python. So, the Python was never produced commercially in .22 caliber. I am sure that proto-type guns exist though. Eventually, one will be made available to the collector market.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts