Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on what to look for/pay when it comes to a python. I held my first one a couple months ago and have been trying to buy one ever since. The Omaha Nebraska python market is almost non-existent. I've found 1 in all my searches for far. It was this one:6814 Colt Python 8" 357 NIB Blue Vent Rib : Revolvers at GunBroker.com. I'm not looking to spend that much right now. I'm in the market for a nickel or stainless 6”, but I would consider blue. I’m thinking 1 shooter and 1 safe queen is the direction I'm going to start. Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

-Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You can find one for way less than that one. Unless you fall victim to that internet sales "I've got to have it, there will never be another one" syndrome, be patient. You will get one for half that. And my guess is that the box police will be along soon to critique the end label on that one. Looks suspicious. But I am no box expert.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Dave: what i would say is find a 4" or 6" "shooter" and pay accordingly. there are decent buys on GB if you take the time to research history. Start in the basement and work up.
Budget 1000-1200 and you should find a good one. IMOP> Doesn't have to be local, you just need FFL to accept it, GB has a list. If you find another one that catches your eye, post it here and you will get help.
Leave that overpriced 8" alone. good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here in Central Florida there are plenty of Pythons in all bbl lengths to be had...unfortunately, their owners think that they're made of gold! Gun show prices range from $1100-$1500 for 95% revolvers, mostly 4" and 6", without boxes or papers. Nickel models are even more $, and anything near NIB, short barreled, or engraved are literally untouchable. I was fortunate to pick up a blued 6" last year (ca. 1980, 90+%) for half that price at a lgs, but it had some dings and dents and was wearing Pachmayrs. It is smooth as silk and shoots tight groups, but I'm still debating whether or not to return it to Colt for a refinish ($355 with s&h). I put some Hogue one-piece wood grips on for now, but when I find some wood grips, that will probably set me back another $150-$200. Sooooo, if I do all that, it puts me back in the $1100 range. Good hunting!

·
Registered
914 Posts
I agree with these guys, foremost, don't get in a hurry. Second, keep checking with the members of our forum who are dealers, you will find a good one at a decent mkt price.:)

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
The members on this forum have very diversified tastes and/or preferences and as such you can get quite a cross section of opinions. I began Python ownership with a 1966 blued 4" barrel, original target stocks without box or paperwork that was in the 95-97% range on condition. I shoot every Colt that I own except one so I do not fall into the "Collector" category (purchase NIB or very rare examples for investment/collectiblity factor). Barrel length choice was simply my preference for balance on this particular weapon.

One important thing you can do to prepare yourself for purchasing a Python is homework. Look at completed SOLD auctions on GunBroker to give yourself an idea what a shooter versus a 95%+ (and these ratings are very subjective) revolver sold for. Patience and diligence are your allies. There are a lot of nice Pythons on the market that are priced WELL below the example you provided in your post. Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
And my guess is that the box police will be along soon to critique the end label on that one. Looks suspicious. But I am no box expert.
Fortunately, I am not a member of the dreaded BPP, "Box Police Patrol", but I have owned Pythons in a very close serial number proximity to the subject NIB 8". It is very interesting to me that there was a period after Colt initiated its "SKU" or "Computer" generated box labels, when this style label appeared (for a short time). I think the label is 100% Colt and have owned them with hand writing exactly like this one.

I think this particular Python could be an extremely nice collectible. A truly NIB 8" Python does not come around very often and usually commands a premium. If this one has all of its correct paperwork, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for the asking price.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
box and pistol found on the back shelf..hahaha and someone said hey look what i found. give me a break! lol

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I still haven't found anything locally for even a decent deal. One of our big name sporting goods places has a well used 8" stainless python with the box for 2k:bang_wall: that I was almost tempted enough to buy and walk out the door with head down knowing I got ripped off. They even told me they go down to OK guns shows and bring them back to sell. Hopefully I will find something, I've never searched this long for a gun. Even picked up 3 S&W revolvers during my searches.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Stay patient. You should be able to find a very nice blue gun without box for around $1500 and with box for around $1800 if you wait it out.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still looking, can anyone tell me if there are any good deals on snake guns at the Wanenmacher's Tulsa Gun Show? I'm thinking about making the trip, to continue my quest of finding a python.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Yes you may find a good deal in Tulsa if you beat me to it LOL. It's the biggest gun show and and selection you will ever see. It will ruin all the local shows for you. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes you may find a good deal in Tulsa if you beat me to it LOL. It's the biggest gun show and and selection you will ever see. It will ruin all the local shows for you. Happy hunting.
I went to a gun show in KC, MO. Although they had some pythons, they where $400-$500 more than they go for on gunbroker. Only willing to take $50-$100 off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts