Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new to Colt's revolvers, but have always had a couple of their 1911's. I've found a 1965 Python originally blued, that has been high-polish hardchromed. Supposedly been checked out by Colt for toleranced and timing, etc. Would you guys be apprehensive about purchasing due to the hardchrome affecting it's collector value? I really want the gun as an occasional shooter, not a collector, but don't want something I can't get rid of if the need arises. $750 is a lot of cash for a revo IMO. 2nd ques, any opinions on the King Cobra vs S&W 686? Opinions on it's future value, durability, accuracy, anything else? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I personally would drop an extra $50-$100 and get an original SS Python. That way, there would be no worries about the resale end of it.
There would be a lot of people that would stay away from that gun no matter who's brother used to work at Colt and checked it out.
If you're buying it as a shooter and paying $500-$600, I wouldn't worry about it.
$750 I'm not sure you'll get that dough back.
Remember, a gun like that is only going to sell to a shooter again. Odds are that no collector would buy it. Unless it would be their shooter.
Hope that makes sense.

As far as the King Cobra goes,
You will get tons of opinions.
Here you will hear that the King Cobra is stronger and shoots better than the 686.
Ask that question on the S&W boads and you'll get the opposite response.
The King Cobra is not made anymore and are darn good shooters. The S&W 686 is Smiths bread & Butter 357. It's not going anywhere for years. Collector value has a better chance of going up just based on the fact that the King Cobra is GONE and there will always be less of them around.

Just my 2 pesos.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

By the way, Are you AKA AgentSmith ?

[This message has been edited by GUNKWAZY (edited 05-09-2005).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For a hard chromed shooter I wouldn't pay that price. Being an older model means nothing now (they all can be tuned the same) as the factory finish is long gone.
It's basically a toss up between the KC and the M686. The KC is a little stronger, but the M686 has a greater support base (stocks, holsters, etc.). Right now future value is with the KC, but when Colt cranks the revolver production back up then the KC may come back which may level the playing field with the M686.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
The Colt Python and Anaconda have had production suspended for the year, so Colt can catch up on military orders, and install new revolver production machinery.

Production will resume early next year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you are going for a shooter and have the option, I would buy the King Cobra over the Python you mention or the Smith.

The resale of the King Cobra will be much better than a S&W and it's a great mid point; above the Smith and below the Python.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts