Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Python and the bluing is fine, but is there a product I can use to enhance, prolong and protect the finish on this revolver?
Like a car wax for blued guns...

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,703 Posts
There are several museum-quality hard waxes that are in fact used by museums to protect firearms.

However, these are of limited usefulness on firearms that are used.

Some people have used car wax, but like the museum waxes, they tend to cause splotching from the heat of firing.

Also, they work best as a preservative on metal that isn't handled.

Probably the best preservative for a "working gun" is a good firearms-specific rust proofing lube like CLP Breakfree or one of the others now available.

Another way to protect your Python is to use care in how it's stored, and insuring you have a high-quality holster that fits the gun properly.

The bottom line on blued guns and even stainless guns is, if you handle it or shoot it at all, it'll develop wear of the finish.

All you can do is treat it as carefully as possible to hold the wear down.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've had good luck with Rennaisance Wax. As the final step in cleaning, I coat the whole gun, including the grips, with the wax, let it dry for about ten minutes, and polish with an old T-shirt. I've been using it for over a year and it seems to work.

Of course, the first few rounds at the range make some interesting smoke patterns.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts