Colt Forum banner

1 - 21 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Looks fantastic. Possibly slight dishing of screw holes, hard to tell only if you’re asking.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks fantastic. Possibly slight dishing of screw holes, hard to tell only if you’re asking.
That’s what I was wondering myself. I can’t really tell from my old pics since they’re pretty terrible photos. The edges are still sharp on the screw holes but the depth of that screw on the left side slightly concerns me.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
To my untrained eye it's hard to tell this is a refinish --especially from the giant right hand side photo above -- the only obvious giveaway to me is the rampant colt. I do know other areas to look at closely include the side-plate seams and the seam at the front where the crane joins the frame. These will often have a "trough" instead of being perfectly flat where they join.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To my untrained eye it's hard to tell this is a refinish --especially from the giant right hand side photo above -- the only obvious giveaway to me is the rampant colt. I do know other areas to look at closely include the side-plate seams and the seam at the front where the crane joins the frame. These will often have a "trough" instead of being perfectly flat where they join.
Ok, are you saying it should be perfectly flat for a good refinish?

Thanks.

·
Registered
598 Posts
They went through all that trouble and didn't even put the turn scratch back on it for you? That's going to take months worth of spinning and dry firing to get that back. :giggle:

My main collection focus is on military guns, so a refinish is blasphemy 99.99 plus 0.01% of the time. And I know that a refinish, especially a bad one, will negatively affect desirability of a commercial collectible.

But that one looks like it was done with a modicum of professional touch. There is a slight softening of edge sharpness, nothing egregious. There are no comparisons, before and after, to be able to determine if it should have been left alone. But hey, it is a commercial Colt, built to be pretty and shiny. And if you like it, then you have a winner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, unfortunately I didn’t take very good before pics. It had scratches throughout the barrel with scratches going straight through the finish and showing bare metal. Not major. Some scratches throughout the frame.

Martin08; so your saying it’s a poor refinish or your just not a fan of refinishing ?

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
There's a sense of 'softness' to the finish that happens with the metal prep - that, and the obviously re-applied 'Rampant Colt' give evidence of the work.

To be fair, by this time, I'd imagine that there are far more refinished Pythons out there than one would think, and has been mentioned above - they're 'supposed' to be pretty and shiny, and this one meets that criteria, so if 'you' like it, then you're golden - enjoy it, and put some wear on the high points.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
There's a sense of 'softness' to the finish that happens with the metal prep - that, and the obviously re-applied 'Rampant Colt' give evidence of the work.

To be fair, by this time, I'd imagine that there are far more refinished Pythons out there than one would think, and has been mentioned above - they're 'supposed' to be pretty and shiny, and this one meets that criteria, so if 'you' like it, then you're golden - enjoy it, and put some wear on the high points.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks guys, unfortunately I didn’t take very good before pics. It had scratches throughout the barrel with scratches going straight through the finish and showing bare metal. Not major. Some scratches throughout the frame.

Martin08; so your saying it’s a poor refinish or your just not a fan of refinishing ?
Refinishing a gun is not an easy task to complete without leaving glaring clues. But this one is done rather skillfully, so it is not a poor refinish.

I'm not a fan, for certain. But it's a commercial gun, so I don't get terribly offended. Just a little. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey I’ll take it. This isn’t a gun I plan to sell but it is a gun I plan to shoot now and then. I’m happy with it.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I went and looked at your original post when you bought it (pasted before pic from then below) and see the scratched part on the under rib. That was about it, the only damage to the finish, from what I found looking at the old pictures. Am I right? I can see wanting to fix that scratched section though.

Regardless, it now looks about like a Python from those years look: very polished, somewhat melted sharp edges, and a deep black "bluing". I'd say most buyers wouldn't know, and would pay the $1600-2200 going rate for one that is "mint". Maybe some would pay that much too, even knowing it's reblued.

1 - 21 of 38 Posts