Colt Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Your right I was hesitant at first from the prices (seeing guys pay upwards of $1000). But the other noticeable damage was near the crane on the frame was a little rough, not chewed up by rough. At first I thought it might have been pitting but I would consider it heavy holster wear. Mostly a lot of scratches throughout the frame but nothing deep down to bare metal like it was on the barrel.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I've got one with some bad pitting where someone's thumb rested for years. Otherwise, just some high edge wear. I'm using it a lot, carrying in a holster, and such that people usually won't do with a mint one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I’ve seen a lot of bad refinishes on the web. I feel like any bad refinishes are mostly done by local gunsmiths who don’t specialize in the more vintage guns. I decided if I did it I’d only go with Glenrock, Ford’s, or Custom shop with the latter being way too costly. I’m absolutely satisfied. I personally can’t really tell it’s been refinished. It’s done very very well.

·
Premium Member
19,361 Posts
Thanks for posting. I have thought about having a Colt Marshal redone by Ford's because it was poorly redone by someone before I purchased it. The Rampant Colt was buffed away on mine during that refinish. I wonder what Ford would do to replace that. Certainly, the Rampant Colt on your Python is the only real sign of being refinished. I would think they could have done a better job on that feature.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
The rampant colt seems to be more deeply engraved in a very strong lighted area. Some of the pics I took right by a window. Otherwise I think it looks pretty much exactly the same.

They use a laser engraver they told me. They said that’s all that they felt needed a sharpening since everything else was crisp. I’d rather have a deeper Colt Roll mark than none at all to be honest. You have a pic?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can't tell, maybe not even in person but it looks fantastic..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Looks fantastic. Possibly slight dishing of screw holes, hard to tell only if you’re asking.
The dishing does show but at quick glance,one probably couldn’t tell. The reengraving of the pony caught my eye before the screw holes,along with the side plate seam below the pony which is not as sharp as it should be.
Now look at the last picture of an original picture Python side plate for comparison. Pete

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The dishing does show but at quick glance,one probably couldn’t tell. The reengraving of the pony caught my eye before the screw holes,along with the side plate seam below the pony which is not as sharp as it should be.
Pete

View attachment 708222
View attachment 708223
Here is a close up I had from the gun when I first bought it. Not a great pic from the lighting. The colt is more prominent now but the lines or the dimple was about the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have seen some Pythons with what appears to have an almost circled “C” to the right of the trigger guard. Anyone know the history with that? Mine as well as a few others I’ve seen at gun stores have that same simple.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well, it certainly is a beauty now; but it didn't look "bad" before the refinishing. Just me, but I'd have put it to use as-is rather than a refinish. But don't worry over it; it's nothing for you to ever be ashamed of.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It shoots very well. They tuned it up for me as well for no charge. It’s definitely tighter than it was before but in a good way. Not like it was too loose to begin with. It’s absolutely much more crisp and tight than my 686 but the 686 to me has more comfortable grips. I will never change out these grips though. These are staying put.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Refinishing a gun is not an easy task to complete without leaving glaring clues. But this one is done rather skillfully, so it is not a poor refinish.

I'm not a fan, for certain. But it's a commercial gun, so I don't get terribly offended. Just a little. :)
Shiny, yes, soft, definitely. Heavy hand, with too much time on the red wheel.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts