Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 86' Python with what appears to be a barrel that has been turned clockwise very slightly. It's enough, though, that you can see the front sight is turned ever so slightly in the rear sight window. I was wondering if this was done at the factory for accuracy reasons, or what? Has anyone else seen anything like this on thier pythons?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have never such a thing. They wouldn't do that at the factory that's for sure. Send it off to Colt to get that checked and fixed.

FC

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
It's possible it's a factory defect, but more likely is a gun that's had the barrel replaced by an incompetent "gunsmith".

Too many people seem to think that revolver barrels are just pieces of threaded pipe they can screw on and off at will.

They usually get a shock when they screw on the new barrel and find that the front sight doesn't align at top-dead-center on it's own.
That's when guns get damaged or ruined by attempts to MAKE it fit, without having either the correct tooling OR the knowledge of what needs to be done.

My suggestion is to shoot the gun for accuracy.
If it's accurate, the rear sight doesn't have to be cranked way over to one side to get on target, AND the gun doesn't spit bullet metal out the sides of the cylinder, THEN you can decide whether to just live with it or not.

If there is a problem, or you just can't stand seeing it off set, send it in to Colt for repair.

When you see things like this on a Python alarm bells start to ring because people who'll screw up a Python usually don't stop with botching one thing.

I'd be looking for signs of a barrel switch, and any signs of damage to the frame such as bending, scarring, or cracks on the underside of the part threaded for the barrel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought that seemed a little odd on a python as well. It doesn't appear to have any signs of having the barrel off of the frame (ie. marks on the frame, miss-matched blue, forcing cone too close to cylinder, etc.). Also, it's a shooter, like they all are. After I figured out that the sights were adjusted to hit at 100 yrds (optomistic, don't you think?)i could keep the groups pretty tight. Also, there's no excessive lead fouling in the forcing cone. The previous owner had a sight mounted on this pistol, and he mared the finish on the barrel in a few spots. I may send this one back to colt to see what they think, and also possibly for a re-blue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts