Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, what is your opinions about the stamps on the barrel especially the number 7!
stamps looks faint and I can't judge if it because the re-finish or over-polishing and cleaning!

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
On camera flash just doesn't work for taking gun pictures. The flash bounces back and shuts the exposure down, under exposing the photo except for the reflection of the flash. The closer the subject, the worse the exposure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also there is a strange stamp proof behind the trigger. It is number 7 but in Arabic language ( ٧ ). Have anyone seen it before?

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Letters or numbers were assigned to the assemblers and the final inspectors, and the Y identified the employee that performed the final inspection. The slight halo around the letter indicates it was stamped after finish.

On this Python the final inspector's letter was K.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
It looks 100% good to me. I have had Pythons with light markings and they were original guns I purchased new. They sometime have over polished the barrels and they meaning colt.

Reactions: oberon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just curious, are there any inspector marks that are more highly desired than others? I know in the military surplus world that certain rare inspector stamps can affect the value, does the same go for Pythons?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,616 Posts
Just curious, are there any inspector marks that are more highly desired than others? I know in the military surplus world that certain rare inspector stamps can affect the value, does the same go for Pythons?
No.
Colt factory inspectors stamps are a very different situation then military inspectors stamps.

Virtually all Colt inspectors are unknown outside the factory, so very, very few people have any idea who they were, and those who do know who an inspector was, they only know who they were for a limited time period.

Since Colt factory inspectors changed fairly often and usually more then one was working at the same time, the stamp on the gun has no meaning to buyers or collectors, and no stamp is "worth more" then any other.

There are three inspection stamps on Colt pistols. Revolvers have stamps on the Left front and Left rear of the trigger guard, and another on the frame under the serial number.
1911 series guns usually have one on the Left Front and Left rear of the trigger guard and one on the Right front of the trigger guard.

The Colt "Verified Proof" stamp is a tiny "VP" in a triangle. It's on the left front of revolvers, and left rear of autos.

The stamp on the left rear of revolvers and left front of autos is assumed to be the final inspectors stamp.
The stamp under the serial number of revolvers and right front of the trigger guard of autos is assumed to be the assembler's stamp.

There are various stamps on the left side of the grip frame area under the grips of revolvers. Exactly what these mean is unknown.
One popular stamp found on Colt double action revolvers in the 60's and early 70's is "INS" which means "INSpected".
Some people have mistaken this for a law enforcement ownership stamp for the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you for that very informative response! This is why I love this forum. So much to learn and everyone has so much information to share. I wondered what the INS stamp meant, but never bothered to ask. The little details like this fascinate me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts