Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something came up today as I was shopping for a Python is STS. I'm sure this has been discussed in depth before on this site, but I have a question on the Python Factory Blue Boxes from the 1990's. I was told they were shipped with an outer shipping sleeve and because of the sleeves many of the blue boxes had no White Identification Labels attached. Since I am new on the site I hope I framed that correctly. Was the White ID Label affixed to the outer sleeve? Did the White Labels rip off when the sleeve was removed? Just looking for some collective feedback. If a blue box doesn't have a White ID Label, how would I verify verify the gun. Would the correct paperwork be enough or do I need the serial number? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
There are two kinds of blue boxes, the first edition (approx. 1990 - 1996) had a molded interior. They did not have a label on the blue box, but came with an outer cardboard "Picture" box that had the label on the end.

The second edition had the label attached to the blue plastic box and did not come with an outer cardboard box. The interior of this box had a grey foam installed instead of the molded shape. Note that these boxes had "Colt" molded on the top. The ones you see commonly on Flea-bay have "Colt" molded on the top but its much larger in size than the original. The real ones have a little Colt on top (not sure if my words make sense????)

If you want some pics let me know and I'll post a few.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I had an extra piece of lasagna and there's not much left in the wine bottle, so I'm a little too lazy to open the safe and get the camera out and .... so hopefully its ok to borrow a few pictures off the web.

Let's see if I can get this right. Hold on while I refill my glass...

Here is a borrowed picture of the first style blue box with the outer cardboard box. The label should be attached to one of the end flaps. These are being faked a lot lately so chances are if you buy one of these "mint packages" it will be a reproduction (like this one). To have the matching, original cardboard box will add $$$ to the value of your gun. They came in 3 sizes, small for the SF-VI size gun, medium most of my 4" guns came in this size, large for the 6 & 8 inchers.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
It is generally believed that 1996 was the year Colt moved to the new style. No picture box and the label was attached directly to the plastic box. Like everything Colt, they are being faked too. Here a prime example, but it show how the insides look. Notice that this fake even comes with the label

Here is an example of a real box, via a Keystone Arms post. Notice the size of the Colt and the other features of the box top

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Notice the difference in this box. None of my wheel guns have a box like this. Someone once told me the semi-autoes used this style box, but since I don't collect those guns I can't say for sure.

Unless someone here says otherwise, I would think this is a fake too.

Hope this helps....back to my California Cabernet!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
top box is from a Combat Elite 2011, bottom box is from a 1992 Anaconda which I assume would be the same box they used for Pythons during that era (no foam just molded plastic inside) the Anaconda box did come with a sleeve but it is long gone
Electronics Technology Electronic device Gadget

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is an original case and box that I purchased new in 1992. Plastic case is molded plastic inside and has no label. The cardboard box has label on end flap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.