Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were there two levels of Python blueing. I've seen the guns advertised as being "blued" and having "Royal Blue." Is there a difference and if so what is it?

·
Registered
909 Posts
No difference. All blued Pythons received a higher polish before blueing, which Colt's called "Royal Blue" to distinguish from their other models.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Please keep in mind that all BLUED Pythons are NOT created equal. There are some Blued Pythons that look like a mirror and others look to be more of a normal Blue. I'm not sure if it's the way the Pythons were stored, The materials used at a specific time or just the preperation prior to the Blueing, but not all Blued Pythons are equal to each other. I have not found a pattern as of years for better blueing as of yet, but as I said above, all Blued Pythons are NOT created equal in the finish department.
Take a look at the following picture. Notice the 2 Pythons in the lower portion. The Pearl handled job has a much higher gloss look to it. Almost like it was Blued over a nickel plate. The wood stocked gun is a deep blue, but not near as reflective.
Don't just feel you can buy an unfired Python online and think that any Blued Python will look the same as the next.
Hope that helps.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

[This message has been edited by GUNKWAZY (edited 04-14-2005).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff:

Many thanks for your post it is very helpful.

I asked the question because I was comparing the finish on a mid 70's Python that I currently own with an 1981 version that was much brighter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I picked up a Python with a worn finish, and sent it back to Colt, would the re-finished blue have that deep gloss that Pythons used to have.? Colt told me once that it would cost about $250 to re-blue it. Would this be a good idea, or would it be better to hold out and pay more for one that has an unblemished finish. Was thinking that having one re-blued would be as good as a "new" one. Any ideas on this.?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
My 2 pesos are this Frank.
First off, what is the reason or purpose of the gun ?
Are you refinishing it for your own use ?
Will you be shooting it or putting it up ?

If it is for your own personal enjoyment, I would think if you found a fired little, but carried a lot Python for very cheap, then it may be worth it.
Let's look at it this way...
If you do the math, I would think you may still pay $400 or more for a well worn Python. If you can find one that someone would give up. If you found one that was well worn, odds are that the grips/stocks will be just as rough as the gun. Current pricing shows original wood grips for Pythons running in $100-$150 range. If you were to next day air that Python back to Colt, I'm thinking $40 or so. If you have Colt do a tune-up or other work while she's back at the shop, you can add a few more bucks. Now add in the $250 for reblue. Where are we now...
$400 for the Python.
$100 for grips.
$250 for reblue.
$40 for shipping. If using an FFL could be more.
We're at nearly $800 and that's the low end of the scale for a Reblued Colt Python.
I personally would not be putting a reblued Python in my collection unless it was CHEAP or if it was to be a shooter.
To me, unless you find one for $200 it would not be worth the time, effort, money and trouble.
If in fact you could NOT find a Python that was minty, it would be worth it.
There's plenty of minty original Blued Pythons out there, so to me, in my opinion, it would not be worth the overall hassle.
It may be different if it was my fathers or grandfathers gun and I had an emotional attachment to it.
Most collectors do not want reblued guns and they surely would not pay as much for one that was redone as they would an original.
I hope this makes sense. It's 11:00 PM and the brain and hands are not getting along at this time.
Good luck to you in which ever way you decide to go.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
Thanks for your input. It would be a once in a while shooter. I'm not into "collecting". There's so many different guns out there I drool over, but just can't afford it. I had a Python a long time ago, but its been long gone. I'd like to get another simular to what I had, so was thinking of sprucing up a used one which would hit all worlds,, cost, mechanical soundness and appearance. I would switch off shooting it between my 1911 and SAA. Still not sure if my idea is the right one.
Frank

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you ever decide to sell it then the overall investment you have made in it may mean you will have to take a lost. Unless you find one extremely cheap and you have to be one lucky so and so to pull that trick off then it really just won't be worth it. There are way to many very nice specimens out there that you can sink the same amount of money in and still be able to get a decent return if you decide to resell later.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I agree that refinishing a Python is probably not worth the cost, unless as mentioned in one of the posts above, it is a family heirloom. I purchased a new one made in 1965 about a year and a half ago for $770 out the door. You would have to get one so cheap in order to make refinishing feasible, and the odds are that once you were done, the value of the gun is less than what you have in it. Buy one in excellent condition and you will be better off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts