Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 6” Nickel Python it locks up tight, has a super smooth action and shoots better than me holding a respectable group at a good distance. I have noticed that the bolt has about .005” side to side play. Is this a problem that requires attention?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Does it rattle when you shake the gun ?
What I mean is, does the cylinder shake when the hammer is NOT in the cocked & locked position ?
Then that's pretty typicle. I've seen them a lot worse than .005.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
The only test that really counts is to pull the trigger and hold it back.
Try to rotate the cylinder back and forth.
It should be firmly locked with ZERO rotational "play".
(Don't try to force the cylinder to move, just gently try to move it).

This is the famous Colt "Bank Vault" lock up.

Cylinder rotational play with the action at rest or with the hammer cocked means nothing.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i will add just a little. the bolt must have clearence to reliably drop into it`s slot under various shooting conditions. now comes the colt 2 finger hand into play, it`s job is to remove this clearence at the instant of ignition to provide the solid lock unique to colt d/a`s. open the cylinder and s/a cock the action, with the hammer at full cock watch the hand when you pull the trigger. it will move slightly. once you understand how the action works it all makes perfect sense /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
31 Posts
Colt python

Dear Sir I have the following problems 1 I am living in the kingdom of jordan and no certified gun smith can help me with my python2 my bolt drops close to the notch not in the ramp and on sigle action slow motion it does not lock till the triger is pulled 3- it's not possible to re-ship my gun back to the states4- is the problem in the hand or ratchet or the bolt or the rebound lever.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The bolt "tail" can be bent slightly to delay the dropping of the bolt onto the cylinder. It is not too hard to do, and the Kuhnhausen book describes it, although not in as much detail as I'd like to see. Perhaps someone can supply you a better explanation than I, as you are not in a position to have a gunsmith to perform this operation. But it is something that should solve your problem if you are not afraid to try it and know how to disassemble the revolver to remove the bolt, which is really not that difficult. There are Python disassembly viseos on YouTube, and the latest issue of the American Rifleman has a good atricle on the basic disassembly procedure and a good parts diagram. But the article does not provide directions for bending the bolt tail.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Bending the tail end of the bolt by someone who is not experienced at doing so is an invitation to disaster.
The ovebending can BREAK THE TAIL OFF!
Bolts are few and far between here in the USA possibly never to be found in Jordan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts