Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 69 6" blued. I assumed when I purchased it the box was just one of the newer reproductions but when I picked it up from my FFL they were arguing saying it was original.

Their argument was serial was on the back of the box correctly and the texture of the box was correct?

All good either way, I grabbed it for the python not the box. I know next to nothing on Pythons, just got me curious so thought I'd ask the experts.

Thanks
Kyle
Nameplate Font Auto part Label Signage
Wallet Material property Paper Fashion accessory

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I second the re-pop. Even though I am not that good with "paperwork", what catches my eye is the addition of items that should not be there. For instance, I am pretty sure the manual wasn't in use yet, the plastic cylinder protector was definitely not, and I am not sure if the hang tag was used yet but if so the string would be yellow. I am pretty sure the warranty card should be red too, but I never got confirmation from anybody whether that is true or if perhaps they used different color cards. I have no idea about the 'handling the gun', but will say it is different from my '72, but they may have used a different one in different years.

If someone who knows for sure could answer some of these questions I would love to know 'for sure' about the hang tag usage, the warranty card color, and 'handling the gun' specifics. I know Kanatak could say for sure. However people don't like to share knowledge much based on the fact it will help the crooks get better. I feel it is better to educate the collectors though.

Either way, you bought the gun for the RIGHT reason. Being you wanted the gun. Good job and you will thoroughly enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I don't believe that the package should contain either a manual or a hang tag. It should contain the "Handling the Handgun" brochure. I think Colt used several different color warranty cards.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I'm going with Rreproduction. One thing that stares at you is the condition of a box that is close to 50 years old. You don't find them in that condition for the age unless it was in a Collectors Dehumidified safe and never handled (almost impossible as we all like to check our inventory).

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Yep, repop that someone tore the new label, put a few scuffs and did a little smashing to make it look old. But like said above, fake...

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I'm going with Rreproduction. One thing that stares at you is the condition of a box that is close to 50 years old. You don't find them in that condition for the age unless it was in a Collectors Dehumidified safe and never handled (almost impossible as we all like to check our inventory).
I have an amazing condition box with the papers from '72 that looks like new repro quality. It was originally owned by a lawyer and law professor at the University of Nebraska Lincoln. At one time he also had his own gun shop, according the original sales receipt. I have no idea how he stored it, but must have took really good care of it, and most likely used the Python as a carry piece. Whether at his shop or elsewhere. The gun was about the same condition firing wise but had some slight usual blue loss from holstering. So I recognize it as a protection piece, carried often enough but rarely shot. Every now and again you get one that was kept immaculate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts