Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. This python was dug up recently (long story) and was soaked in vinegar for a couple of days, rubbed, scrubbed and oiled and it functions fine but isn’t as smooth as she used to be. The serial number is a 1961 number. Barrel lands and grooves are good but not perfect. The original blue came off and no new finish applied.. What is a fair price for this gun?
D989D489-76F2-4ADB-A428-BE9E8FE7850D.jpeg

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
If the bore and action seem clean and rust free, about $250. If not, whatever anyone would pay for wall art.

I'd pay about that, for the fun of keeping it in a tackle box full of rusty tools (I would have left the rust on it). Then I'd bring it to shooting ranges and mess with people, telling anyone with a nice revolver that 'I got one of them thar wheelguns too, come over to my bench and take a look."

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
I don't mean to be nasty or anything, but in that condition your looking at a marginal parts gun (if any are salvageable) or possible paperweight candidate. With that being said, I too would like to hear the story behind that one...

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,884 Posts
Value will not be high no matter the outcome, but.......

If the gun can be put into shootable condition it would be a candidate for a coating like Cerakote or Lauer Duracoat and put into service as a shooter.

If not, some of the lesser damaged parts could be sold, or it could be used as a paperweight or display gun.

Even heavily corroded and pitted it might make a fine shooting revolver so the first step is to determine if it can be restored to shooting condition.
For that I'd recommend talking to the forum's Master pistolsmiths for an opinion.
You'll have to send it to one of them so they can examine it.
We recommend Frank Glenn and Len Specklin at Spartan Firearms.

Frank Glenn-Glenn Custom Complete Gunsmithing Service Glendale AZ

Spartan Firearm Company

·
Registered
89 Posts
Gunbroker would list that as 98% wear... ;)

Can’t believe the bore isn’t trashed. I wouldn’t pay any high amount for that and doubt anyone else would, except for scrap or an art project.

Reactions: sublimert70

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the crane screw/spring/pin but they weren’t installed when this photo was taken. I’ll post some more. It looks pretty cool shined up with some oil on it.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
A little bit of Flitz and it will polish right up. :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The story is long but not exciting..and I’ll wisely take the fifth.

I’m glad it’s not worth much as now I get to keep it.

The bare metal pitted look is great, really post-apocalyptic. can anyone recommend a finish that will keep that look? I’d rather not fill the pits and blue it if possible?? Is there a high gloss polyurethane equivalent for guns?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
The bare metal pitted look is great, really post-apocalyptic. can anyone recommend a finish that will keep that look? I’d rather not fill the pits and blue it if possible?? Is there a high gloss polyurethane equivalent for guns?
Wait...you want to preserve the pitted look?! That's about all you CAN do. It's not like the huge gaping holes are going to fill themselves in if you don't oil it. Spray some WD40 on it, get some wood grips that are weathered and cracked, and you're set.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I know some will drool all over this one but to me it is a part out gun if that or a wall hanger at best. No intrinsic value except emotional. Doubt it is even in working order after that much abuse the elements has imparted on it. A shame to let that happen but it is what it is.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts