Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Really??? How you know?? :cool:

Thanks for the heads up for those less knowledgeable.

There is a lot of funny business going on right now. There is a .45 Anaconda in a fake blue case (Label that is)

There is shill bidding where a new Colt Seller is bidding $2600 on a Anaconda but of course the high bidder is NR. I would be money the next bid meets reserve at a meer $2700 for a anaconda. Sounds like a deal to me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not into Anaconda's but looked at the guns you mention. Good eye on the Anaconda label. Cannot find the 2600 one but remember seeing it.

Not trying to be Mr. Label here but been researching these for my own purchases and just bought this exact label on ebay for reference. Width, spacing and type size. Not mentioning how it is filled out.

Auctions in general are corrupt. There is huge opportunity for fraud both buyer and seller. Certainly not just GB. Deception is common. Shill bidding, buy back you own stuff, not hard to do if you want to.

·
Registered
670 Posts
not into Anaconda's but looked at the guns you mention. Good eye on the Anaconda label. Cannot find the 2600 one but remember seeing it.

Not trying to be Mr. Label here but been researching these for my own purchases and just bought this exact label on ebay for reference. Width, spacing and type size. Not mentioning how it is filled out.

Auctions in general are corrupt. There is huge opportunity for fraud both buyer and seller. Certainly not just GB. Deception is common. Shill bidding, buy back you own stuff, not hard to do if you want to.
Wait a minute Pard. Making such a general statement about auctions is just a little unfair. Lots of really nice guns have been bought and sold on them. Yes there are crooks in every business, but there are some really nice people out there too. A buyer needs to do his homework and be informed. After all it's the buyers responsibility to know what he is buying, not the sellers. It is the sellers responsibility to accurately describe the item and post good representative pictures and answer reasonable questions about the item. If the price gets past your comfort zone, back away, it's telling you something. You'll get another chance at some point in the future. No one makes you buy the iffy gun or pay too much, that's usually a discipline problem. I've had good luck buying on GB when I stuck to these rules and checked out the seller before committing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stand by statement. Not speaking specifically about guns. Auctions in general are corrupt. Been around them all my adult life. While the concept is sound, in reality does not work close to perfect. Did not say most or all auctions are manipulated, and certainly there are plenty of nice, good honest people.

You speak of crooks. Consider this: some people wouldn't think they are a "crook" by manipulating one single auction, one way or another, are they?

You talk about making good decisions with good information, sound advice. What if playing field is not level? With auctions SOMETIMES, it is not.

Not ranting here but very large car auction, when i complained to the GM about an owner bidding on his own car against me, said to me "that's the way we do business here, if you don't like it don't come back"

Finally, Gun Broker auctions are a great thing, some wonderful opportunities.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quote: Not ranting here but very large car auction, when i complained to the GM about an owner bidding on his own car against me, said to me "that's the way we do business here, if you don't like it don't come back"

I understand your frustration on this, but it sounds like good advice. You should have let the guy buy his own car by not raising his bid and walk away. No one thinks they're a crook, not even the ones in jail. The good thing is, when the deck is stacked, you can refuse to play, it's that simple.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i saw the mentioned $2000+ fake label anaconda yesterday. fake label, stocks, and i'm betting fake bss finish. just terrible. these fake blue box labels on anacondas and kc's seem to be popping up a lot more often recently.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Okay, Ill jump in. I recently had a lady who told me that traditional auctions are an unfair way of selling items. She says auctioneers are charlatans who take advantage of the elderly. This is a lady who does estate and moving sales for seniors. When she sells her guns for her clients, you have to bid on them (privately). She wont tell you what the other bids are. She will only tell you if you are the highest bidder or not. If you are not the highest bidder, then you get exactly one more chance to increase your bid. If your second bid isn't the highest, you are out of the race. She says this is fair because it nets the most money for the seller. I stopped bidding on her guns, as I feel this is one of the most ridiculous ways to sell guns I have ever seen. I told her no offense, but I feel no obligation to make sure the seller gets the most money (which was what her argument was about why it was a "fair" system). And why should I drive 30 minutes to look at a gun which I may or may not get, having no clue what the others are bidding? I told her that just because an occasional auction house might take advantage of a seller, that does not make the traditional auction SYSTEM corrupt in and of itself. DISCLOSURE: I have been to auctioneer school and used to conduct them, which is perhaps why I feel defensive about auctions and why I think she is misguided. I still believe that an auction, ethically and professionally conducted is one of the most fair ways of buying and selling guns. Yes the prices get absurd sometimes, etc. But absurd prices do not equal unfairness.

Okay, sorry, just had to put my two cents in on the topic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts