Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously I'm pretty green or I wouldn't be asking this question. This is for real.

A friend of mine who won't ask this question himself has this problem. He's upset with himself and can't believe he missed the crack when he bought the gun.

He recently bought a used Python Blue 6". He checked the gun over best he could with the knowledge he has.

After he had the gun 4 or 5 days he saw a significant crack running from the lower left edge of the hammer opening down toward the grip area. The gun has black rubber Pachymer grips.( He thinks they hid part of the crack.)

In those first 5 days he just moved the gun from his safe to his desk and applied some oil since he didn't have a silicone cloth. He swears he never saw the crack and he never dropped or bumped the gun.

He does state the temperature in the rooms was probably 10 degrees different. He assumes the crack must have been there when he bought it and after moving the gun around the metal raised.

His question. I've seen the gun today. With my limited knowledge the bore, cylinder and timing checks seem ok.
I learned the timing checks on these forums.

Can this be repaired so he can safely fire the gun. He knows it will never be worth what he paid.
He just wants to be able to fire it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
From rear of gun,lower left edge of the hammer is into the removable SIDE plate area. Is the crack on the plate itself,or behind it,where the solid frame begins??

A little confused with your description.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
576 Posts
In <u>A Century of Achievement</u> , I believe the title is, published in 1936, in the narrative on the Hartford factory tour, the author mentions a customer who sent back a gun because of a crack. The crack was the line separating the sideplate from the frame, and had become visible after use. The author cites this story as an example of the close fitting, the close tolerances. Is it possible that this is what is going on in this case? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It runs from the lower left edge of the hammer opening at approx an 8:00 angle and then along the side plate (I didn't realize that was a removable plate)down under the grip. I'll need to have my friend remove the grips.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I went over to his place to take a look. Maybe I know less then him. That's scary. It looks like that's the seam of the side plate. Is this meeting of the frame part and the removable side plate usually kind of rough with some space which a towel could catch on.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thats what I figured(and hoped for!) when you said left side-and did NOT mention a side plate.

There are 2 screws that hold it on-are they BOTH tight? The "top" one will be beneath the grip.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Onomea, you may have something there. The side plate lines are visible enough and we can tell they're points of where the plate meets the frame. I guess where we got fooled was the line from the hammer opening. If I keep writing I'll come off worse than now, if that's possible.

Thank you all. My friend was going to bring this gun to a gunsmith. Though that would have been less public.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Bud. My friend says thank you also. This is the first time in a week I've seen him back to his old self.
I told him he needs to join up and learn his firearm.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Harvey, just "maybe", the side plate was 'improperly taken off or put back on and this will cause a "roughness" along the back edge. They must be 'tapped' off ,NOT pried off...................
Yes, that "seam" of the 'sideplate', on any double action revolver has always 'appeared' to "non gun" people ,as a 'crack'. Boy in the "old days" you could buy one of these really "cheap" if you conned someone, and yes, I have seen people try doing this and have "pissed" off a few 'unscrupulous dealers for even saying this to people who just did not know or understand. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

·
Registered
689 Posts
Wow, did you guys ever come thru for harvey709... I'll be the 1st to admit that I learned allot from your replies and I’m sure others did as well... Its input like this (just one example) that makes this THE forum of all firearms forums... You guys all deserve a pat on the back…

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
115 Posts
This post reminds me of a couple years ago when I was bidding on 6" Blue Python on GB and the seller sends me an urgent email that he had just been informed that the gun had a cracked frame and so I could cancel my bid if I wanted. He described the crack and sent me some pictures and I told him it was just where the sideplate meets the frame and not a crack.

He also sent me the email that a guy who had seen it on GB had sent him saying that the gun was worthless and couldn't be fixed because the frame was cracked but he would take it off his hands for a nominal price for use a "parts gun".

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What I find fascinating about this question,is what did the original poster THINK the sideplate SCREWS were there for?????

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
810 Posts
Harvey never said or implied the fact of a "sideplate" let alone the screws, until later in the responses.
Most folks ,not of "gun savy" have any clue or idea there is in 'fact' a side plate that is removeable. Like some of the "old" guns of 'yore' all went in thru the bottom. The screws may just be 'pivot' screws and NOT holding this "sideplate". WE all know it's NOT 'rocket' science, but to many folks, they have NO clue, what makes a firearm "tick", after all , it is an "inanimate" object.....

I think 'Harvey' and possibly others, may have again "learned" something today and that's one reason I for one enjoy seeing many out here, "share" in this experience and NOT 'chastise' one, for NOT knowing just "what's what". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To Lonewolf. We saw the screws but never put 2 & 2 together. We really didn't look at it close enough. In fact it was after you mentioned the side plate that it all kind of made sense. I realized we had missed that fact but I wanted to make sure before I told my friend
that the gun was ok. I really learned that you have to look very closely. Also, I find a small LED flashlight helps me considerably. My close up vision isn't what it used to be.
Again, thanks to all for their assistance.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Great the way it worked out. Harvey, I ask these guys a lotta dumb questions myself. They know a whole lot.

I am a big believer in the point of view which holds that if you don't know something you can choose to be ignorant, once, and ask a dumb question, or you can choose not to ask the dumb question and be ignorant for the rest of your life. Not much of a choice, considered that way, is it? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts