Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll soon be sending my newly acquired '67 Python to Colt to have the timing fixed as well as a reblueing and possible action job. I have a question about the cylinder though for you gunsmiths or those more knowledgeable than I about firearms. Apparently at some point in time the cylinder was dragging across the forcing cone and wore some small marks of the blueing off where this happened on the face of the cylinder. When I slow cock the gun unloaded and observe the cylinder gap there seems to be a point where light doesn't shine through until the gun reaches full lockup. Done with a feeler guage the cylinder spins without binding with the .003" through the .005" guages. By the .006" guage the cylinder quits turning. There is minimal endshake, probably a normal amount for a gun that's been fired at all and the headspacing seems fine. Last week I fired a box of 38 special JHPs through the gun with no problems at all and there was no further marks to the face of the cylinder, this I could tell because the powder fouling was undisturbed. At any rate, is this someting that Colts gunsmiths will be able to address and straighten out without it's needing major surgery? Also, with the Colt action job, is this going to limit me to shooting only 38 special wadcutters like the old Custom shop tune or will I be able to reliably fire 357s as well? Thanks for any tips or advice and sorry for the long posting.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not really advice, more like experience. But here goes:
I have a Python with a tuned action that came from the Custom Shop. I've never had any problems shooting 357Mags through it. Sweet, sweet action too!
I'm sure they could address any other problems at the same time.
As far as the reblue goes, Colt can do it without ruining the revolver. Be aware, though, that most times a reblue negatively affects value.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
Colt used to offer a "Target" action job, but they warned that it might not be reliable with .357 ammo.
Some years ago, they stopped offering it due to people selling the guns, and the new owners demanding the "unreliable" gun be repaired.

Now days, the gun will be reliable with any commercial ammo.

When you send the gun in to Colt, include a SHORT letter telling them EXACTLY what you want done, AND giving a brief description of the wear on the cylinder face.

This could be anything from a sprung crane, to bullet metal trapped between the cylinder and barrel and "dinging" the blue.

Asking them to check this out, will prevent a busy 'smith from just missing it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick answers guys. dfariswheel, in your opinion does my gun sound like it should easily be corrected by Colt or will they have to do something drastic to fix it? Sprung crane? That sounds like bad news whatever it is, I hope it's not that. Basically I just want the gun to function correct to spec with a bit of slicking up of the action. Not worried about resale value, it will continue to go up I'm sure. I forgot to mention that upon shooting it last week it became apparent that whoever owned the gun prior to me did little if any double action shooting. I know this because I do little else but double action shooting and every revolver I've had have become very nice DA shooters with slick actions after about 3000 rounds through them! Including my GP100.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
A sprung crane is about a 5 minute job for a good Colt gunsmith armed with a special "thimble" gage, a plastic wedge, and a babbitt bar.

WHATEVER is wrong with it, Colt will set it right in short order.
They'll send you an estimate of what needs to be done, and prices.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that's exactly the info I was hoping for. I will heed your advice and keep the letter short while covering the work needed. Fix timing, re-blue, check cylinder rotation and gap, fix or replace buggered screw heads and maybe install a red ramp front sight. The gun will be sent off in about 3 weeks after I put aside enough cash cover the work to be done. At this point I'm still split as to whether or not to re-blue or nickle plate but naturally I'll have made that decision before the gun goes out. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts