Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 6" Blue Python from early 80's this weekend. New owner cleanup today and now the cylinder won't close.

hits the rear frame. cylinder has some front to back play if you push it forward. If you hold it forward it will enter frame but doesn't want to go all the way in.

btw: took nothing apart, just cleaned it. Gun looks very nice, although the blue is worn on the end of the cylinder release.

Anyone experienced this?

Back to Colt?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Still sounds like something holding up the extractor star. It does not take much...or check to see if the ejector rod is backed out a little or loose.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Also check that the ejector rod is tight. Is the crane screw tight? Try removing the crane and cylinder and re-insert. Check ejector rod for tightness.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
problem not with extractor. for sure. clean as new. both sides. problem is other end.
dry fired couple times and worked perfect. then released cylinder, now won't go back again.
take to gunsmith tomorrow for look see.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Cleanliness is not necessarily the issue. Did you check that the ejector rod is screwed in tight? Dry firing without snap caps is not recommended for revolvers with frame-mounted spring-loaded firing pins. Is the firing pin protruding? Sorry, but it should not take a gunsmith to discover why your crane won't close. How about a couple of pictures? :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also check the cylinder bushing. On one of my pythons, when I rotated the cylinder counter-clockwise, the cylinder would start to unscrew itself from the ejector rod & back towards the rear of the frame & wouldn't close. If I rotated it clockwise, it moved back towards the front & I could close it again.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had a similar problem. Turned out the ejector had started to unscrew effectively making it too long to close the cylinder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The ejector rod worked loose the first time I shot my Mark III. Was at the range when it happened. I felt a little stupid that it took me 5 minutes to finally figure it out. Maybe that's why I was able to buy it for $350, because she is a beaut. Nothin' that a little blue lok-tite won't cure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts