Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I presently have two Pythons with production dates of 1971 and 1977. They differ in the stock design, checkering on the hammer and the ejector rod design. Can anyone note other subtle difference that evolved over the years of Python production?

·
Registered
806 Posts
In my opinion, first the actions changed, then the 'finish' and finally the fit & finish of the grips. Many of the other changes are just vendor changes of the parts.

Aside from the guns them selves, the packaging (boxes) were also major changes.

------------------
Dan

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
The Python changed remarkable little over the years.

Some changes were:
Around the early 1970's, the ejector rod assembly changed from the old style that required unscrewing the ejector itself to disassemble, to the new version where the rod is unscrewed.

The grips changed through 4 major types, with several sub-types.

The very early Python had a hollow under-barrel lug.
Later, the lug was changed to a solid version.

In the late 1990's the barrel threads were changed to the same thread used on the King Cobra.
At the same time, the front sight was changed from a two pin, to a single pin to ID the new threads.

In the late 1990's the gun was changed to a Custom Shop item, and the barrels were stamped "Python Elite".

At some indeterminate point, the old super polished blue was gradually changed to a slightly less polished finish.

Throughout most of it's life, the Python had a tapered bore barrel. This is one reason for the Python's reputation for high-grade accuracy.
I don't know if Colt still uses the tapered bore, or the fabled "Silver Ball" treatment.

I'm not aware of a change of hammer checkering.

Internally the Python changed not at all.
Except for the above listed items, the Python didn't change externally.

Below are the 4 major types of Colt Target grips. Colt also used the Colt medallioned Pachmayr Presentation grip on stainless steel, and possible some late blued Pythons.

FIRST TYPE. Fully checkered grips:

SECOND TYPE. Wrap around checkering. "Thumb rest" only on the Left panel:

THIRD TYPE. Straight line checkering. "Thumb rest" on both panels:

FOURTH TYPE. Used only on the late Python Elite. Made of Laminated wood:

COLT MEDALLIONED PACHMAYR:

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 07-03-2005).]

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hi dfariswheel: We found a 2-1/2" Python polished stainless in almost unfired condition a few weeks ago. It has pretty Hogue grips on it, that we know are not standard. DOB is 1985. Could you tell me what the correct grips would be, so we can start looking for a set. Thanks much, Robba

·
Registered
711 Posts
robba,

I checked my '85 catalog and I could not find a pic of a 2 1/2" BSTS Python or the stock specification for it; same for the '86 catalog. In the '87 catalog there is pictured a 2 1/2" Python with RTS (Rubber Target Stocks) and it is also listed in the specification matrix as having RTS.

This kind of surprised me as I would have thought Colt would have spec'ed combat stocks for short barreled revolvers and not target stocks. Be aware that Colt could just as easily have shipped the gun with RCS.

Ipso facto, you should be looking out for the Colt medallioned Pachmayr RTS like the ones shown in dfariswheel's post.

HTH

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 07-04-2005).]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dfariswheel, Thank you, that is just the information I was looking for. None of my reference books deal with the Python in detail. Regarding the hammer checkering, it is noticeably finer on the 71 Python compared to the 1977. I don't have a digital camera yet, so I can't post a picture. Regards, Dee P Six

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hi Guys: Also have a 2-1/2" blued Python that has none of the above type grips. This is DOB 1971, and has wood checkered grips that just fit the frame. Presuming this to be a carry gun type of grip. Robba

·
Registered
806 Posts
Robba, I too have seen this version, some years back at the Colt distributor here in Cleveland, 'Abele-Davis', they sold 'LE' and one of the guys had picked one up for a carry gun, had the grips fit only the 'outside' of the frame, NO wrap around at all. Dull finish on the grips too.

------------------
Dan

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks Blokey. I'll try the gun shows looking for the RTS grips for the stainless 2-1/2" Python. Kind of thought that would be the grip type for that age 85 gun. Kills me that both these short barreled Pythons have no box and are all but new. Here I am bitching, and we found both of them the same week in shops 30 miles apart. Cheers, Robba

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
Sorry, I just forgot the Service type grips as used on the 2 1/2" barrreled Python.

These are simply the old style grips as used on all the older Colt's like the Official Police.

The Service grips that were used on the Python always had the Python-standard of Gold medallions.

Here's a pair of Python Service grips:

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 07-04-2005).]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi...my first post. I bought a 6" Blue Python, ser# T327xx. I was told that is a 1984 ser#. It does not have the original grips. Which grips did it come with? I think it was the straight-line walnut, right? Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by mray (edited 07-05-2005).]

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks dfariswheel: The service stocks are what is on our 1971 2-1/2" blued Python. These were evidently more practical for a service carry weapon. Robba

·
Registered
22 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
It would have come with walnut grips like those in picture #3 above, the "Third type" Colt Target grips.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks dfariswheel!

·
Registered
128 Posts
dfariswheel,

Just as a side note, my Lew Horton 2 1/2" polished and ported Python and the Lew Horton 2 1/2" matte and ported Python of homegrownxc both came new with Colt logo'd Hogue Grips, rather than Pachmayrs. Both date to 1996/97 as standard Python production was ending and it was transitioning to a custom shop item.

BTW: Like homegrownxc, I immediately removed them. Rubber is for the road.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I never noticed this before, but the serrigated thumb peice. Was there differant years for this or was it what was on hand? Oh, this is a K pre-fix 6" Python.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts