Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally purchased a Python! My shop had a 6" model on the rack for $599. They gave me $315 trade-in for my well used S&W 686 Plus.

My question are:

1. How old is it? The serial is 140xx.

2. What is its value? More importantly, did I get a fair deal. There is no box, Pachmyr grips, very slight holster wear at the muzzle, a 1/4" holster wear patch on the front of the trigger guard, no rust, great barrel, and there is a cylinder ring. The cylinder is TIGHT, no wobble or play.

Thanks in advance for all your help and opinions. I'm a shooter not a collector, so I hope it will take the same jacketed loads I developed for the S&W.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
That serial number is a fairly early one, 1961 and anytime you can pick up a Python for under $600, BUY IT!

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR .357 HANDY,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I have several more questions. I have lots of experience with old military rifles, but none with old hand guns.

Would this be considered a collector's item or just a run of the mill shooter?

Would the value increase or decrease if I had it reblued at Colt? Now that I know it's fairly old, I don't want to screw it up.

Would my regular loads have any negative effect? I use 125 gr HP-XTP loaded to around 1350fps.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
jasode

In seven years it will qualify for C&R, so it's becoming collectable even though they still make the Python (some times).

If you re-blue the value goes way down, IMHO.

I would not shoot a lot of 125Gr loads , because, as you probably know, those are only lighter bullets and NOT lighter loads and those 125's hit that forcing cone faster with more force and will excelerate wear and tapstrap flame cutting.

The rest is up to you.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR .357 HANDY,
JUST IN CASE!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 03-08-2004).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts