Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'm new and already have a question. You look like you've got a great board here. I've been browsing & it's nice to see the support going on here.
With-out calling Colt again. Can anyone give me the Born on Date of a Python with serial number 722xx ? It does not have a prefix or suffix letter. It does however have an "E" down below the serial number (I'm not sure if that has any effect on anything. I'll be pickin' her up later this week. Can't wait to get my paws on her. I love my King Cobra and this is my first 6 inch Python. I'm gonna guess she's older, maybe 1967 or 1968 ?
How far off am I ?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks.
I can't wait, so I'm going to get her right now.
Thanks again for the info.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
First off WELCOME to the forum!!!!!!!

Great, when you get back tell us all about your new acquisistion. Dick

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, here's the story. Cruisin' the local gun shop as usual and spot a new (Used) gun in the Revolver case. Nice lookin' Python. They just took it in. She calls out to me and next thing I know I'm explainin' to the wife why I need another .357
Heck here's pictures to help tell the story. That alone will save me about 1000 words.
Does anyone know where I can get an original sweet set of grips ? This pair has a few nicks and I'm kinda picky about my guns. The only real signs of wear is up around the edges of the muzzle. She looks to be in great shape for a '67.
Now let's try those photos......

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Jeff

Nice looking piece you got there! I can almost tell by the smile in your posting that you got it at a pretty good price too
It sounds like you have a very understanding wife.
Check with Colt they probably still have original stocks ( we don't call them grips on this forum). Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 10-09-2003).]

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where's my manners. Using the word Grips, I should have known better than tossing around a 4 letter word in public like that. Well the stocks need to be replaced, the wife on the other hand is very understanding & I won't need to replace her. I picked up old Betsy for the sum of $575 OTD. I thought that was pretty sweet.
Thanks for the help.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The last time I got a set from Colt for a Diamondback, I believe they ran about $58, for the Python they may run a hair more, but I don't know for sure. If they don't have any, which they should, contact me and their is a stocking Colt dealer down here that may be willing to send you a set, he has for me in the past. Dick

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
The stocks pictured are the Colt "second type" used during the 1967 time frame.

These are getting increasingly difficult to find, and no parts supplier like Gun Parts Corporation or Jack First will be likely to have them, and Colt won't either.
Any grips available commercially will almost certainly be the late style stocks, that will not be appropriate to your Python.

I'd suggest dusting off your wallet, and start watching Ebay and the gun auction sites. These will be costly, and possibly no better than the ones you have.

Another option is a careful refinish of the original grips. That way, you will save the high price in buying a replacement pair, and you will be able to keep your Python "factory original".

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been to the bay and to the main gun sites and didn't see anything but aftermarket stuff and lots of plastic & rubber junk. I would be interested in keeping the gun factory original and I'm not a big fan of restoration. So replacing with identical factory stocks would be OK for me. I've collected toys for years including Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning, Matchbox, Tonka, Structo, and I don't have any restored stuff in my collections. The stocks are not aweful on my old Colt, but they are not Minty enough for me. It's like having a beautiful show car and having just OK wheels on it. It just doesn't cut it. A revolver has a classic look to it and to me it just doesn't look sexy with rubber grips or worn out stocks. I would love to upgrade the stocks, so for now I'll just keep an eye out at the shows and the net. They'll turn up, I'm just hoping they'll be nicer than the ones I have. It's no problem hunting down Smith & Wesson stocks, but Colt stocks is another story.
The only vintage stuff that looks good with rubber grips is a car. No, my tires are NOT made by Pachmayr and Yes, it's one of the very few things I own that's restored....

Thanks again guys,
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great lookin' 64 Galaxy. I have a 67 Mustang fully restored. As for stocks, the type mentioned by dfariswheel is indeed difficult to come by and pricey when you do. Do not dispair as they come up fairly regularly on EBay. The prices sometimes approach a c-note but if you are patient and diligent you can pick up a pair there. I did so a while back and got a pristine pair. I believe I paid in the neighboorhood of $60.00. The hardest to find are the fully checkered "first model" and boy are they pricey.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Sorry guys, I thought as he said, he wanted a "sweet set of grips" and wasn't interested in restoring. Sorry!
I sometimes get mine from an outfit down here called Showgun and he has original Diamondback and Python grips, new in the package. I don't know how his supply is now though. Dick

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 10-10-2003).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Original second type Colt grips are very hard to come buy. Keep on eye on Ebay, but dont expect a lot of luck from Ebay.

The gentleman who said he has a gun store (Showgun), take him up on as many new original sets of Colt grips as he can get.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts