Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my Python and other Colts since about 1979. I carried the Python at the PD for over 10 years until we moved to semi autos. This Python sits in my safe today. I have bought and sold many guns over the years. About three years ago I decided to quit buying and selling many different guns and settle down with my favorites. Among other guns I had a stainless Python and a Magnum Carry. Two years ago I had to replace my transmission and sold the Python and the MC. Prices have risen to the point that I thought I would never be able to replace them.

I went back to buying all kinds of different guns and selling them after awhile. I have not looked for Colts due to the extreme prices. I have collected several nice S&W revolvers. Once a month I go north of town to visit 3 gun stores. I never know what I will find. Last weekend I found and purchased a 4" Python at one of the stores for $ 1133 out the door. The LGS guy has a 3" S&W 66 I have been trying to talk him out of. He called me Sunday and said he had a new nickel Detective Special that he had decided to sell. I went back Monday night and bought it. I paid $ 525.00 and it appears to be new, no line on the cylinder etc - perfect.

I had always planned to give my son my PD Python when I pass. It is in excellent condition with just a little bluing wear. The Python I just purchased has a little more bluing wear. I thought about sending it back to Colt for a re bluing and some trigger work. I went on colt forum and saw all the posts saying not to re blue a Python. My question concerns the Python I just purchased having a lower value due to the bluing. (I still think that it is a value for $ 1133. Right??) I realize that re bluing it will decrease its collector value. However would the present value be higher then the reblued value to the general Python buyer? I myself would purchase a nicer re blued Python than one with a damaged finish.

The DS is new. I have a ton of 38 special + P ammo. I have planned to shoot standard velocity 38 through it but carry the +P. Will this keep the gun from loosening up? I would of course shoot some +P ammo to check point of aim? What do you guys shoot in your Detective Specials?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
What do you guys shoot in your Detective Specials?
I don't own a DS, but have something similar in that it's a 2" chopped-barrel PPS. It's my concealed carry weapon in hot weather because it hides easily under baggy clothes. Wifey carries a S&W Lady Smith in .38 Spec also. We shoot regular .38 special FMJ, usually 130 grain, for practice, but carry Hornady 110 grain FTX for self-defense.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
The later small "D" frame steel framed Colt's like the detective Special were factory rated for "up to" 3000 rounds of +P.
These are the post-1972 heavy, shrouded barrel versions.
After that they were to be returned to Colt for inspection and possible frame replacement.
Since Colt no longer has frames, you have the right idea: Practice with standard .38 Special ammo, and load up the +P for "business".

As for re-bluing your Python, there are just too many facets to consider.
How bad is it? If it's really worn a factory refinish may increase the value.
Are you going to keep this one long term? If so, what do you care what possible reduction in value it is for the next owner after you're dead?
Bottom line, refinish is a purely personal decision only you can make. If you just want a like-new looking Python and are willing to wait for Colt to do it, go for it.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
If the blue is worn then it won't make a difference if you re blue since it is only worth as a shooter either way. Do what makes you happy you only live once mind as we'll let be as you desire it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think dfariswheel hit it on the head, or perhaps out of the park, and its good to see that refreshing opinion that may go against others here. If you intend to not pass the thing off as factory unfired when it comes back and plan to keep it forever, have at it. You and only you truly know what you want and will enjoy it.

Just over the weekend I picked up a 4" DB blue in 38 in a trade. It had a couple of areas that had some light pitting that had been touched up, but the action was tight and it did not look as though it had been fired much. It looked like it had laid on the one side and rusted and the passenger side was perfect. I was able to get into it at a good price and I now have my perfect truck gun. Does it bother me? No. It's mine and it will go to my daughter's some day and I doubt they will care.

Good luck in whatever it is that you decide to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts