Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Python \'E Series\' question

I have seen references to Python 'E Series' serial numbers. I have seen posted numbers with an 'E' as suffix and prefix. Mine is Nic. 6" w/sn 179XXE. Is this an 'E' series? Also is there a reason for the two different locations of the 'PYTHON 357' on the 6" barrel pythons? Most pictures I've seen posted show it offset closer to the cylinder. Mine is centered along the length of the barrel.

[This message has been edited by proco (edited 09-13-2003).]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: Python \'E Series\' question

I have a six inch blued Python, ser E77xxx, I think this one is from 1974 or 1975, yours was likely produced in 1975, I think. Mine also has the roll marking centered along the length of the barrel. This, along with a price tag of $425, is the reason I bought this specimen. It seems to me that the 6 inch Pythons with centered markings were only made in the mid 1970's. If anyone knows more, please post.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks to stans and dfariswheel for sharing this information. The 'E' series question remains. Anyone have something to add? By the way, I have enjoyed reading the comments on this site. Very informed folks here as well as the S&W site. I noticed some of you frequent both. Sorry I don't have as much knowledge to share.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts

Probably the talk about "E" series Pythons is due to the fact that the "E" was the first use of a letter in the Python serial number.

From 1955 until 1969 Pythons had numeric serials. Starting in 1969 and up to 1978 the "E" was either leading or following the numeric serial.

Just WHY the letter "E" and not "A" or "Z" or any other letter, is I think, tied up with the other Colt guns of the era.
The Colt "D" frame guns like the Detective Special, Diamondback, Cobra, and the "J" frame guns like the Trooper Mark III series all used letters in the serial number also.
Each series used different letters, specific to the model.
For instance, the Python used "E","K"."N", "V", "AL", "LA", "VA","KO", and "T". ONLY the Python used these letters.
So "E" was probably just luck of the draw for the Python.

To many people this qualifies the guns as "early" Pythons, when quality was supposedly (note the word supposedly) better than later guns.

The words "early Python" are often sales points, and just what defines "early" depends on who's buying and who's selling.

As I've said before: Guns are NOT vintages of wine. There are NO "good" years or "bad" years. Each gun must be judged on it's own merits.
The statement, "that Python's no good, it was made in 19-whatever", or "That's a great Python, it was made in 19-whatever", are not valid "facts".

I've seen very early Pythons that had major problems with quality, and recent Pythons that were as good as any I've ever seen.

So, to answer your question, there really isn't anything special about "E" series guns.

An "E" series gun runs the same chance of being a treasure or a dog that any other serial runs.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 09-16-2003).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts