Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I make stag grips to fit the Python. I have had a pair returned due to them not fitting properly on the "Elite". Did Colt make a change in the "Elite" grip that the old Python grips will not fit the new "Elite" model?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
No, Colt didn't make any changes to the Elite.

The probable problem is, over the years Colt's grip frames have not been as uniform as some other makers.
This is due to polishing differences during manufacture, not changes in the actual dimensions of the frame.

The later Colt revolves of the late 1990's and 2000 era do seem to be more "off" then the earlier guns, but this is again, due to polishing and finishing differences.

During this time, Colt had to make some changes in personnel and the amount of time spent on the guns. I've noticed that older grips DO have some "issues" with proper fit on these late models.

So, it's not uncommon to take a pair of grips off one Colt and find they don't fit well on another Colt of a different era, and this seems to be worse on very late guns.

This is why it's not uncommon for grips to require at least some fitting, and why most grips makers require a Colt to be sent in to have the grip fitted to the individual gun.

Most grip makers that don't do this, usually make the grips slightly over-sized, which insures they will fit ALMOST any Colt, but also usually means a loose fit on most Colt's.

This may be a problem for you. Since the newer guns do seem to need "looser" grips, this will mean looser grips on older guns.

Also, due to the polishing, the fit of the grips to the edges of the back of the frame will vary rather badly.

On the older guns it was possible to arrive at a compromise that would fit most all in this area, but the newer models seem to be thicker in this area, and the grips comes up "short", leaving the edges of the frame exposed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for that information dfariswheel. I guess the grips will sometimes be a miss. I am fitting them to an early 60's OP when I make them. Thanks again !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts