Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted a python. Just wondering if the python elite's are worth the money as far as the accuracy and quality problems people talk about, or should I spend my time trying to find a good used python?

Any python elite owners care to share their experiences?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
welcome to the forum, i dont own an elite but since you havent been answered i`ll give it a shot. i would suggest you buy the best condition python you can and stay within your budget. personally i like the older guns{my python is a 61} but then i have never shot an elite, and just dont care for stainless guns.{dont like rubber or plywood stocks either} /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
323 Posts
Howdy, pelican
Welcome!
I occasionally hear about 'quality problems with Pythons', and I wonder why.
I'm on my second one, and I believe I'd take a chance on ANY well-maintained Python.
IMHO, the Elite isn't any better or more desirable than any other, be it blued or nickel plated. Worth a premium? Not to me. Just another great example of the vanishing fame that was Colt.
Don

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Pelican,

I own a blued Elite as well as a few older Pythons. My Elite was made in 1999, my others in 1966, 1970, and 1981. While it is just as nice as my older Pythons I wouldn't put a premium on it. I have heard people talk of quality problems with Elites but I have not personally experienced this to be the case. I think that a lot of the quality problem stories are apocryphal as I have never had anyone say "I have a Python Elite and here is why it is of poor quality". This seems to just be a story that keeps getting repeated as a lot of people think that older is always better and newer is always worse. Not the case. The prices on the Elites for some reason seem to have gone through the roof. There's nothing special about the Elites other than the word Elite stamped on the barrel. You should be able to find a nice older Python for $700-$800.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info. I guess my search has begun. Can all pythons shoot .357 and .38 or just special ones?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Okay, the non-expert is going to answer this one and if I'm wrong the real guys can jump me and whip me!

The good thing about .357 mag revolvers is that they will all take the .38 special round without any trouble. that's what I like about a revolver in .357: you get a strong platform which you can use with a very mild load which is not only available but also less expensive and which puts less strain on the gun, without lacking performance at the range!

Mind you: a 38. special revolver will NOT take the .357 mag round.

And there is off course the exception of the Python Target, which is ONLY chambered for 38. special.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts