Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a stainless Python Elite in 1999 serial
# PN14xxx which was touted to be unfired. It is in perfect condition but has a slight drag line. Colt told me over the phone it was manufactured in 1996. It has black rubber stocks with silver medallions. Are these grips standard or knockoffs put on by the dealer? Is ther anyway to confirm without a $ 75.00 letter from Colt?
Thanks
gary

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm pretty sure Python Elites only came with the finger groove walnut stocks. I guess anything's possible with a Colt but I suspect the stocks you describe are replacements.

Check out the Python Showroom thread to see examples of a few Python Elites. IIRC, all the ones shown are wearing their original stocks.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
FWIW the 1997 catalog shows the Elite with Hogue monogrips which are apparently considered "rubber service style" because it is a 4". The 6" models are claimed to come with "rubber target style" which could indeed be Pachmayr targets with medallions as used on the standard Python in 1996 and earlier. The 1998 catalog shows the well known smooth walnut finger grip with medallions. I'm sure others have the straight scoop on 1999, but it apparently did vary. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Colt about the DOB on this gun and got an immediate call back from Colt security, Apparentley they showed this as a show gun that was not ever sold. I also questioned the box label that said Python and not Python Elite and the CS was written in ink after the model #. The serial number on the label and the gun matched. After a few hours the head of security called back and said they now had figured out the problem and the gun was buit and serialized in 1996 as a Python Elite and the custom shop changed the label by hand. Maybe a changeover model or something to explain a mix up in their records but an interesting story

·
Registered
715 Posts
Just goes to show, with Colt you never know! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any chance you could post a pic or two of this piece myellowc5?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts