Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What were the versions(Or series of?)the Colt Python wooden target grips? Also, when did Colt first start switching away from the(Possibly 2nd design?)target grips, that had the checkering that wrapped under the grip medallions at the bottom? And, in this transitional year, is it safe to assume that Colt could have installed either the second design or the third design target grips(At random)?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I'm particularly interested in finding out, is if in the early 1970's, if Colt Pythons could have come from the factory with either the 1960's(2nd design)style of wood target grips-or, the 3rd design wood target grips(At random)? Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
Colt didn't usually do much mixing of features or grips.

They usually used up one item and then started using another.

In other words, they wouldn't be putting a new version grip on revolvers, and also be putting old versions on.
They used the all the old ones, and when the supply ran out, they started putting the new ones on.

This is just common sense inventory management as followed by most companies.
You order or make a version of something and use them until you decide to use a different item.
You use the old ones until the bin runs empty, then start using the new ones.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dfariswheel:

OK then, when did Colt's first start installing the 3rd design wooden target grips on the Python? Was this around 1971-72(Or, later?)? Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
Sometime in the early 70's.
I really wasn't paying that much attention to the grips back then, and don't know the exact time the change over was made.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dfariswheel:

1)I'm working on a deal to obtain an 4-inch blue Python that the serial number shows to have been made in 1971. The wooden Colt Target stocks look to be original to this gun? However these grips are not the second design. instead they are the 3rd design(As the checkering does not wrap up under the lower part of the grip medallions). Before I buy this Python, I'd like to be able to ascertain whether or not these grips could be correct for this revolver?

2)Just to be clear, what I had mean't regarding the possibility of Colt installing two different vintages of wooden target grips on their Pythons? I was not thinking of Colt installing two different styles of these target grips at random. I was thinking of Colt(For example)possibly running into the early 1970's in the event that they hadn't used up their 2nd style target of grips and then(Once they had run out of these)started installing the 3rd
style(Therefore, ending up with having installed these two types of grips in the same year, by virtue of Colt not running out of the older style of grips in the previous year, in which these earlier grips should have already been used up in?)?

3)I remember that you once had posted a thread(With pictures)on these various vintages of colt wooden target grips-but, I have not been able to find this link? Do you have the link to this thread?

4)Thank You!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts