Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
just because he has 10 sets doesn't mean they're fake. I have several sets (but not 10) that I've been hanging on to, maybe he did the same thing.
I don't know that those are fake, they look ok to me and if they are real that's a great price. if I was looking for a set i'd have no problem buying the ones in his ad.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I read the text (fine print) of the ebay listing and he does state that they are NOT Pachmayr brand. In fact there is NO brand name on them and he does represent them as aftermarket. So yes I believe this is a fair price although I'm sure a true Pachmayr brand grip can be found for roughly the same price.
Can anyone confirm how an original factory pair on an 1980's vintage s/s Python is marked? Please show a good photo depicting markings, escutheon placement, screw placement and grip configuration. Internal markings of grip if not too troublesome. Proper accouterment identification is so critical with so much fakery going on given Colt wheel gun prices.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I read the text (fine print) of the ebay listing and he does state that they are NOT Pachmayr brand. In fact there is NO brand name on them and he does represent them as aftermarket.
ahhh, you learn something new every day. not being used to viewing ads on ebay I just read down to the item specifics part. I didn't know that he has a description and more pics farther down the page :bang_wall:
anyway even though he says he doesn't know who made them from the pics they still look legit to me. pachmayrs name is molded on the bottom of their grips and not being able to see the bottom in his pics i'm just going by what I can see.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
My 85 2 1/2"SS Python came with non Pachmayr grips like these from factory. We had a thread about this a few years ago and I think the consenus was that Colt did use these non Pachmayr rubbers for a short time, particularly on the snubs before they went to the Pachmayr Gripper. (This type is smaller and lighter than the steel insert Pachmayrs )

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
At least in the 1990's Colt had some rubber Pachmayr type grips made for them by Vintage Industries.
These looked exactly like Pachmayr except they were made without the steel liner molded inside. These usually had a plastic liner.
As I recall, they made these Colt ordered replicas like the "D" frame Compac, the Gripper, and the Presentation types.
At least the latest version of the Compac has a banner with Colt in it on the bottom sides of the grip.

Genuine Pachmayr rubber grips are real rubber. Most other "rubber" grips are actually a polymer called Kraton. What the Vintage Industries grips were made of is uncertain, since it's impossible to tell the difference by looking.

As to whether these are "fakes", no one has ever made or is likely to make counterfeit rubber grips due to the extreme cost of the molds need to produce them.
So, these may not be Pachmayr, but they're almost certainly genuine Colt grips, unless someone went to the trouble of installing Colt medallions.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Chaos rob, I do recall in the 1980's when the rubber grips started they were two sections such as yours and had the regular colt disc. Later when I purchased my 3 pythons in the late 1989-1990, the blue python I purchased came with wood but had the regular disc as well but te 2 stainless, came with pach. rubber grips with the new style disc like the one in your photo. I don't believe yours to be fake if so one one went through a gret deal of trouble to fake them specially back then when there was no gain in doing so. I do have a catalog fom those years if you wish I shall post the Python section. In fact let me take pics and I will post it shortly.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Rubber grips began in early years as 1981 with E Nickel Pythons and Hunters etc. They became standard on them in 1984 with the Nickel and stainless models. The 2.5" and 4" sported the "Gripper" model Packs and the others had the target style rubber except for the wood on the 6" Python with standard discs. I assume they were fading out the wood grips due to cost and they were using the remainder of the supply on the Blue 6" models. I took some photos of the catalog hope it will help.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory Gun Revolver Starting pistol Trigger Airsoft gun

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Here is one more you should take a look at. Notice the discs.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My uncle was a dealer since 1973. He had a great little shop in MA. He was a major Colt dealer and warranty shop. The grips that went through there from the custom shop and standard was remarkable. I was a kid then and was always buying my time to finally own some of his guns he had there. I finally purchased one he had in his display which he never wanted to part with a 6" Blue Python never fired No ring around the cylinder it sat in his display for years till he closed shop 6 years ago. Unfortunately the box has been long discarded but the gun is mint and now it is in my safe. I purchased 2 others from him back in 1989 and 1 from a local dealer in my area. But since then I have had and sold several others. These guns are magnificent and it really is too bad that colt decided to stop producing them. If they ever decide to have a run of 500 or a 1000 I would buy a few just for my kids to have later on. Anyhow hope these pics help. Just as a bonus I want to drop this extra pic for the fans.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
If anyone here has a 1986 catalog, it shows a 2 1/2" SS Python with Pach style presentations on it, but they are not Pachmayr..
Here is a not so good pic from that catalog

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I believe you are correct that is the one which was in two panels as shown above.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Gentlemen, I don't know if using a Colt catalog to date changes is really that accurate either. Catalogs are generally prepared well in advance. Art dept has to take photos, retouching, airbrushing etc, copywriters write the text for each gun, that gets proofread, plates have to be made etc this is whole involved process done by NON gun people - advertising/art dept types.
You're at a lead time of at least a year PRIOR to release of the catalog so mistakes will happen.
Production can be delayed or ceased on some models, demand for certain models change labor/mgt disputes pop up - Colt is famous for this. But you get the idea - a catalog is only a general idea of what is to be released, an approximate date. IT doesn't mean things are set in stone. Just look at cars - how many models that were heavily touted that just fizzled out.
Remember you can't retract a catalog when things don't work out for one reason or another.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I have also commented on this in another section on this forum. Yes it is true That a catalog is prepped a year in advance since it has to be distributed for that year but it can also be used as a guide not a bible. I used this particular year catalog because I purchased 3 Pythons in that year of 1989. I also commented on the grips that came on the guns I purchased during this time. I also had family who were in the gun business for many years and were Colt warranty service shops and always beat Colt into my head. I have seen many Colts come in and out from the shop. Special editions, special runs etc. So I have seen many variations specially in the 80's. I can't comment on any prior to 1973 since this is when it all began for me. I will let someone else chime in on that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
To the question of rubber grips on Pythons, my perspective is limited, but maybe it will be helpful. My 1981 electroless nickel 2 1/2-inch Python came with genuine Pachmayr Presentation grips having a gold Colt medallion. With that barrel length, it seemed to me that finger groove grips would have been more suitable than Presentation grips. However, I'm the original owner and believe the gun came from the factory with Presentation grips.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
My feeling on the reason Colt went to the other brand of rubber grips on the 2 1/2" bbl. is two fold: they are smaller than the Pachmayr Presentations and they weight less since no metal reinforcement. Both are important in a snubby. They may have switched back to Pachmayr due to quality problems or they just decided to go eith Grippers. JMHO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts