Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again, anyone can suggest a secure way to make a Python blue finish a little more shining? I obtained good result by wiping it a lot with a Swiffer soaked in WD40, anyone tried something similar? Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
There's nothing that will make a blued finish shine more, since the shine is a matter of the polishing job that was done BEFORE the gun was blued.

The only difference between the satin black finish on a Ruger, and the glossy blue finish on the Python is how much the base steel was polished prior to being blued with the hot salts bluing chemicals.

In other words, the shine is UNDER the bluing.
In order to get a better shine, you have to remove the bluing,

A gun may appear to shine more, just from having dirty old lubricant cleaned off.

Once that's done, any further attempts at polishing, ESPECIALLY with any metal polish can and WILL damage and thin the finish.

Some people recommend using mild abrasive polishes like Flitz to shine up a blued gun, and often report good results.

However, ALL polishes are abrasive, no matter HOW fine, and WILL damage the fine bluing.

My suggestion is to use a good cleaner/lube like CLP Breakfree to gently wipe the gun down. Allow to work for a few days to dissolve any remaining dirt or dried old lubes, then gently wipe off the excess.

Some people like to gently wipe the gun off with a silicone cloth which leaves a shiny finish, but the finish is better protected with a thin layer or rust preventing lube like CLP.

·
Registered
265 Posts
As usual, dfariswheel gave good information. About three years ago, I read about Renaissance Wax in the Rifleman and decided to try it. Maybe it's in my mind, but a coat of the wax, as the final step in cleaning, seems to make my 40 year old Pyrhon gleam.

I use Renaissance on all my guns and have never had a problem with rust since I started to use it.

John

·
Registered
991 Posts
John,

What is the consistency of the Renaissance Wax? I've been using Blue Wonder Armadillo for quite some time with excellent results, except it is very hard and difficult to apply in hard to get at areas.

Is the Reniassance Wax smoother and easier to apply?

Thx,

Mark A.

·
Registered
265 Posts
manderson,

It's about the consistancy of shoe polish. I just get a dab on my finger and spread it on the entire gun, including the grips. I let it dry for about ten minutes and then buff it with an old T-shirt.

When I bought it, I put the date on the can just for future reference. It's dated: 10-25-02. I've still got half a can left and I use it on one or two guns a week.

John

·
Registered
810 Posts
What defariswheel said, the true shine is the surface of the metal.
Yes, that wax will give it a gleam. That's what it is intended to do, just like 'Armorall' or such gives your tires that "wet" look. Some even lightly polish the surface with metal polishes , BUT be very careful and lightly,or you can and will take off the bluing!

Me, I just wipe 'em down with my old 'RIG' rag, been using it for EVER and never had a gun rust yet, and they "look" shiny, but makes nickel and bright stainless look 'crappy'! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think the difference between between wax and polish is the issue. Armadillo and Renaissance are both wax and are completely non-abrasive if I am not mistaken. Flitz polish is abrasive (they also make a wax which should also be non-abrasive, but I haven't tried it yet.)

However, I am beginnig to move in Dant's direction with Rig for ease of application and total protection. The thing that's always worried me about grease is the tendancy to be corrosive over years of coagulation, but I don't think this is the case with Rig.

"D" is always promoting Breakfree CLP and I might try it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hello, All
I recommend either Rennaissance Wax or my favorite, Colinite Insulator wax. PURE Carnuba, NO polishing agents, no buildup and tough as nails. I'm sorry to post a non-Colt here, (it's a M-29 from late 50's) but the snow prevents a good shot of the Python (now that it's waxed). Good advice about applying with the fingers. Sparingly apply either, and let it dry, then buff. You won't be sorry.
Don

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have also used RIG for protection (for about 15 years) after I have cleaned the firearm first. I buy a new RIG applicator "rug" every year as I suspect used rugs pick up abrasive stuff and possibly residual gun powder residues which may harm or scratch the finish over time. Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts