Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '78 vintage NIB unfired 6" blued Python. It has a perfect shiny blued finish, that looks much nicer than some other blued guns I've seen and had. For a gun my years vintage did Colt make a "Royal Blue" finish as well as a "standard" type blue ??? or were all blued Pythons considered the "Royal Blue" finish ? My box just says "B" in the Finish block on the end panel. Also when did Colt start making the Stainless Pythons ?? I''ve seen older nickel plated Pythons but most Stainless guns are newer ?
Are the Stainless guns any more/less durable finish? Are the internals Stainless on those guns too or just the frame/cylinder ? Thanks for any info! Jeff

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,807 Posts
The Python always had the "Royal Blue" finish, it's just in later years it wasn't quite as well polished.

Colt introduced the stainless guns in 1983.

Since technically stainless steel doesn't HAVE a "finish" it's much more durable then blue, which wears off.
Also, stainless can be "restored" by the owner by careful polishing with Scotchbrite pads.

All parts on the stainless Pythons are stainless except for some of the internal parts like the rebound lever and hand.
The frame, barrel, cylinder, ejector, hammer, trigger, and most other parts are stainless.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Also, stainless can be "restored" by the owner by careful polishing with Scotchbrite pads.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree totaly.I did some polish work on a friends Anaconda that was about 85% or so with different grades of sandpaper to get the nicks and scuffs out of it.I probably spent 2-3 hrs on it,makeing sure to replicate the factory polish marks.I wouldn't recommend it to a novice though.I had a factory gun to follow the duplication,so to speak.If it had been a blue or nickel gun it would have been a low dollar gun.My friend sold his Anaconda for $1,000

1 - 3 of 3 Posts