Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a Python on the web listed as a 1972 model with an "electroless" nickel finish. The cylinder release looks a little milky in the photo. Anyone know what kind of a finish this may be?

Thanks,
John

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Here is one description. Colt called their electroless nickel plating Coltguard. They offered it on the Python, Trooper and Lawman revolver models. After they introduced stainless Pythons about 1983, they apparently discontinued Coltguard on the Python about 1985. It is usually a rather matte finish compared to the bright electrolytic nickel plating. http://www.imagineering-inc.com/solutions/electroless_nickel.htm

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have a 1982 catalog that introduces Royal Colguard on the Python. It is the same as the "standard" Coltguard except for the fact that the Python is more polished than the other models, the same as Royal Blue. Since Python revolvers were always more polished, this makes me wonder whether Coltguard was available on the Python at all before this, but I do not know for sure, not being a Python follower. Hopefully, someone can verify if it was an abailable factory finish in 1972.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A1A,
Thanks for the information and link. The link says it is superior to other nickel processes and usually more uniform in thickness. I was looking for a 4" Trooper MK III, but may consider this Python since they want $850 for it.

John

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I may contact Colt next week for more info, or perhaps a members knows for sure. While $850 is rich for my blood, it is not bad for a Python.

John

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will pass on the Python. I can get a four inch Trooper MK III for less than half the price, and having a six inch MK III, I know what great shooter they are.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts