Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I inherited a 4" 1977 Python with a serrated red insert font sight. It has 2 pins. It shoots low even after bottoming out the rear sight. Obviously this is the incorrect sight. What sight do I need and where can I get it.
Thank you for any information.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
We need photos to tell for are it's an incorrect front sight. Colt did supply Pythons with a red insert front sight before transitioning to an orange insert. I'm not sure but I believe Colt was still using all black front sights but that's roughly around the time they were changing.

Did you try and let someone else shoot the Python and see if it was shooting low for them as well? Are you shooting reloads or factory loads? Many reloaders load on the light side for liability reasons. What bullet weight are you shooting? Heavier bullets will hit higher. Make sure it's not the ammunition or your shooting technique before condemning the sights.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Snidely. Yes it shot low for both of us using 158 grain factory loads from a bench rest at 12 yards.
This gun had been hard chromed, so screwing with the sights is well within the realm of possibility. Do you know what height the sight should be?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,611 Posts
You can buy replica factory front sights from KenSight.

https://stores.kensight.com/ramp-kensight-front-sight-for-colt-python-anaconda/

Jack First sells a genuine Colt front sight with one hole. This sight was used on the single Pin Diamondback and the later single pin Pythons.
You would need to carefully drill the rear pin hole.

https://jack-first-gun-parts.myshopify.com/collections/colt-e-i-frame-revolvers-python-official-police-trooper-officers-model-match/products/colt-e-i-front-sight-1-hole

A 1977 Python would have shipped with a plain black front sight and no white outline rear blade.

Sorry, I can't remember the height of the factory Python front sight. Hopefully someone will measure one for you.
The Colt Patridge Target front sight was .190 high, which was higher then the standard ramp sight.
All Pythons used a front sight 1/8 inch wide, with the 2 1/2 inch Python using a 1/10 inch wide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts