Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have ss python 6" from the year 1994.
I have bought patridge front sight from "bear creek guns".

The problem is that it does not fit, the shape is different from the original sight.

Did I bought the proper sight?

In the picture: the upper is the new patridge.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,703 Posts
Something is wrong here. The lower sight blade with the insert looks like a Colt Trooper Mark III/King Cobra sight, NOT a Python sight.

The upper sight is a Python sight.

It's possible in the late production guns Colt may have changed the sight.
If so, I was unaware of it happening.

When Colt changed to the "new style threads" on the Python barrel, they also changed the sight to a single pin to ID the new threads barrel.

It's possible they may have also changed the sight to be compatible with the King Cobra.

I'd suggest a call to Colt to find out what's what.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello everybody,

I like to know which patridge front sight will fit my python?

The serial number and where to buy will be good.

Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,703 Posts
If Colt did change the front sight to the same as used on the King Cobra, there IS no Patridge front sight available, as far as I can determine.

Since the King Cobra sight is a simpler design, any good gunsmith should be able to make one for you with no trouble.

Your other option is to write a letter to Colt and ask them, but I'd bet they have none either.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The front sight looks like it came from the Colt Custom Shop. My 1980 Python has a set of Colt Custom Shop installed Elliason sights. Your top front sight matches mine. It differs from the ramp style usually installed. Check your rear sight, is it marked Elliason?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The original sight is acro not elliason.
I decided to upgrade my python for target shooting and I have ordered:
Champion rear sight - looks very good quality.
Patridge front sight - still have a problem...
Nill grip - very very good quality.

Maybe someone will know a patridge tha will fit my python.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The lower picture matches the front sight from a Diamondback almost exactly except that the pin hole is drilled a bit higher on yours than the one I have. If I remember correctly, the pin hole has to be drilled (the sight will come with no hole) in a replacement sight. You might try Brownells, they stock a good number of sight configurations

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
The front sight on my 1994 four-inch Python was plastic.
I had it replaced with a Smith & Wesson blank & fitted by my gunsmith.
That probably doesn't help much here, but I do still recall being quite astonished at finding a plastic blade on what was an $800 gun at the time.
Denis

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Just checked mine, it does have a single pin retaining the blade. Also the same rear non-Eliason sight as my Trooper MKV.
Denis

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for you're help,

Today I have decided to modify the patridge my self.
I took out my "dremel" and started to work.
The most of the work was at the bottom rear side and a bit at the botom front.
Beacuse of the patridge shape, it has no support at the middel bottom like the original but the sight pin hold it in place very tight.

It came out with a great fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts