Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this topic/inquiry has been beaten to death,...

I am curious as to the reasons why some Pythons come with...

- regular ramped front sight (plain black)
- regular ramped front sight (orange insert)
- target type front sight (tall plain black)

Were this features specific to a production year(s) and/or different model designation??

Thanks for any and all info.

-Jimmy

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,802 Posts
From the beginning in 1955, the Python had standard production plain black ramped front sights.

As an option there was a Patridge Target front, usually installed along with the Ellison rear sight. This was always an option, or very rarely, part of a limited production model.

Starting in the mid-1980's, Colt began installing ramp sights with red inserts, usually with white outline rear sights. This was simply a product upgrade.

In the 1990's, Colt went to a new type of barrel threads, and at that time, both to cut costs, and to identify the new style threaded barrels, they started using a front sight with ONE pin.
These front sights are actually Diamondback sights.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
In addition to what DFW says, the earliest Pythons have a higher rib with a shorter ramped front sight. At some point, which I believe to be in the early 1960s, but am not sure, the rib was lowered and the ramped sight was made taller.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a bunch guys. I've learned a great deal from the information you've provided!!

-Jimmy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts