Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a original wood target grip that when I try to put on my python doesn't seem to fit well. there is a gap from bottom of grip to the frame. I have a SS Python my grips are type 2 I also have a type 3 set that also has the same issue.

Also are pythons supposed to have locating pins on the frame like S&W revolver's?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,441 Posts
The Colt frame pin is a large diameter pin that has reduced diameter ends. Don't use a straight pin, buy a Colt pin.

Colt grips often don't seat fully on the frame, and often all that's needed is to give the grips a firm squeeze to seat them.
Some grips may have warped over time and will have slight gaps at the bottom.

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
I have a original wood target grip that when I try to put on my python doesn't seem to fit well. there is a gap from bottom of grip to the frame.
Based on the quoted language, I take the fit issue to be a gap at the bottom rear corner of the frame, not a gap between the two wood panels when viewed from the bottom. Without a locater pin, it is possible that the stocks could slide down and away from the butt frame, creating a gap at the bottom rear of the butt frame.

Where is the offending gap?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Based on the quoted language, I take the fit issue to be a gap at the bottom rear corner of the frame, not a gap between the two wood panels when viewed from the bottom. Without a locater pin, it is possible that the stocks could slide down and away from the butt frame, creating a gap at the bottom rear of the butt frame.

Where is the offending gap?
Its exactly where you said at the bottom. My python seems to have no pin where the pin should be there is a flat slug. Maybe that's the main trouble with my grips.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,441 Posts
Its exactly where you said at the bottom. My python seems to have no pin where the pin should be there is a flat slug. Maybe that's the main trouble with my grips.
Possible, you can buy Colt frame pins from several parts houses. You don't need one specifically made for a Python, Colt used the same pin on all medium frame models like the Official Police, Trooper, Officer's Model match, etc.

PYTHON. Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts
Part 52.
Colt Python Double Action Revolver
Part 2.

Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota
Gotta call.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.