Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me definitively what year Colt changed from a wooden grip on the Python to Rubber Grips ?

Any help that you can provide would be appreciated.

SA50

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can tell you that I bought a new stainless Python in 1983 that came with wood stocks. At the same time, I bought the rubber stocks and installed them on the gun before firing it the first time, so they were available then. I think the wood stocks were replaced with rubber fairly soon afterwards, but I claim no expert status here.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Python Grip Question - Need Expert Help on thi

Rubber stocks were available in 1983 because they were the standard for the stainless Pythons (although there is a thread attesting to the fact that the early SS may have been supplied with wood). Wood apparently continued on the non SS until sometime later. I don't have catalogs (or Pythons /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) running through the critical period, but by 1995, the blue were being shown with rubber, Pachmayr target style for the 6" and Hogue monogrips for the 4". Not definitive, but a start. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
177 Posts

Early SS was definately supplied with wood. I can't remember when during the year I bought mine, but the dealer ordered it for me, so it wasn't something sitting around on the shelf.

·
Registered
382 Posts

Well, earlier this year I bought a supposedly NIB 6" blue Python from a fellow who was selling it for his mother. Apparently his dad had bought it, put it in the safe and never fired it. It looks truely unfired, is in the original box with all paperwork, including the sales receipt and the serial number indicates 1982 manufacture! Thing is it has Pachmayr rubber grips with the Colt Logo on it! The grip also looks brand new and appears to have come on it. The box gives no indication of the style grips that came on it. I am not sure if a call to Colt or a "letter" for the pistol will tell me this either. SOOOO...I bought a period correct, unused and beautiful set of Wood Stocks for it. Now I have both , but it looked as if it had the Pachmayrs's from the factory! I have other Pythons and much prefer shooting them with the rubber Pachmayr's but love the look of the original wood stocks! Carl

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

The 1982 catalog (c 1981) shows the introduction of ColtGuard with the picture of a 6" supposedly ColtGuard Python with Pachmayr target stocks, with Colt logo of course, so they were being used then. The same catalog shows and lists blued Pythons with wood targets. The question seems to be whether that was an official changing point with some leftover wood mixed in for a little while or randomly, or whether the wood continued to be standard for a time after that on some varieties. I guess I am being the master of restatement. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I am looking at a 1980 6" Royal Blue Python, respresented as unfired, NIB. It has Rubber Grips with the Colt emblem.
In the Wilson Colt book, it is indicated that Rubber grips first appeared in 1979 on the 8" Hunter and soon transitioned to the other models. So I gues it is possible that this 1980 Python was one of the first to appear with Rubber grips. I have a 1981 6" Nickel Python that came with wood grips, so go figure ??? I really like wood better, but I also like having the original grips. Colt indicated that a historical letter will tell me what grips came with the guns originally. Does anyone else have a 1980 Python that came with Rubber grips ?

·
Registered
946 Posts

My 4" v73xxx has goodyear, cant really say what year I bought it, early/mid 80s.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Bogusbill,

Thank you for your message. That is interesting, your serial number places it in 1979. So I guess, rubber grips did start appearing as early as 1979, which supports the 1980 having come with them. I wonder if there was any rhyme or reason as to which Python got rubber and which got wood during the "transition years" ? Like I said before, my 1981 has wood....

·
Registered
810 Posts

Well from my past experiaence, when I left our first shop in late 1978, the 'rubber baby buggy bumpers' from Pachmayr, had their 'logos' on them, working with and dealing with 3 different Colt distributors in the area, the early 8o's found them offering a "blister pack" of the Pachmayr grips , but with the Colt logos. We opened our second shop in 1980-81 and they started to "offer" the option for the Colt Pachmayrs on 'some' models, and was the long barreled Python, then I seem to remember the Lawman or the Troopers were more often available with them as 'standard' and should be seen in the 1982-83 Colt catalogs. I have gotten rid of all my old catalogs so cannot go back and look. Just better to "hold on"(grip) the gun when firing, though I for one do NOT like them at all.................

·
Registered
4,882 Posts

My '81 4", which also had signs of being either seldom shot or only test-fired, has the black Pachs. It is nickeled. When I showed a photo of here I was told it was regular nickel.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Those are after market Pachmayrs with Pachmayr medallions. The Colt factory Pachmayrs have Colt medallions. That is bright (electrolytic) nickel /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
810 Posts

Those are the 'Pachmayr Grippers' as said above , the 'logo' (medallions) on the Colts ARE 'Colt' and their rubber Colt grips are 'Presentation' style, not grippers ( finger groove)

Still a nice looking Colt........ /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have another question pertaining to the factory rubber grips which came on the Pythons.

I remember seeing a NIB blue 6" Python with factory rubber grips and silver medallions at a gun show in South Texas in early 1994. I thought that silver medallions on rubber grips mostly came on SS Pythons. What type of Python came with gold medallions on factory rubber grips?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pythons came only with gold medallions, no silver. I have a 4 inch '81 E-nickel (ColtGuard), it came with the Presentation rubber grips with Colt gold medallions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jazman, I bought a NIB 6" blue Python with factory rubber grips & silver medallions at the same gun show in 1994 I previously mentioned.

·
Registered
862 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I am looking at a 1980 6" Royal Blue Python, respresented as unfired, NIB. It has Rubber Grips with the Colt emblem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think that Python should have the wood target stocks with the straight checkering under the medallions. From what I've seen, it appears the wood grips went out with the double pin front sight. When Colt made the switch to the new threads is right about the same time they made the Goodyear’s standard. I have a stainless steel 6" 1981 (T186##) Python and it has the wood target stocks just like this one below.
1981 stainless 6" python with wood stocks
Here are two 1981 Python on GB that have wood stocks.
6" blue 1981 Python
6" blue 1981 Python
With the premium the stocks are bring on the auction sights sometimes it is more profitable to sell the grips and slap rubbers on the gun and sell them separate. Either way, I feel that Python should have wood stocks. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
141 Posts

No offense, but Pythons should have the grips they came with. I like wood better too, but if it came with rubber that is the grip that is correct for it.
Range Rider, again, no offense, but maybe someone put some Diamondback(which are silver) grips on your NIB Python. I could be wrong of course, but I am pretty sure Pythons came with ONLY gold medallions. 99.9% sure. Maybe someone better versed in Colt can help clarify.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

FWIW - The 1981 catalog announces the Python Hunter which did have rubber stocks. The 1982 catalog announced Royal Coltguard and showed a so finished Python with rubber stocks.

The 1984 - 1990 catalogs (that I have) show stainless Pythons with rubber stocks but continue to show wood on the blue. What I believe is a 1992 catalog shows rubber stocks on a blue Python as do later catalogs. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh, and Diamondback stocks will not fit a Python and all Diamondback stocks do not have silver medallions.

·
Registered
862 Posts

Hey A1A,

Again for what it's worth...it seems from what I've looked through on past GB auctions seem to coinside with the cataloges. Python Hunters and Coltguard finished Pythons seem to have always had the rubbers. The stainless Python started with wood grips and around 1984-5 the rubbers became standard. Final in the early 90's the rubbers became standard on the blued Pythons. Once again, this ain't bible just the pattern going off of GB. I know anyone can change grips, so I tried to go of pieces that had their original boxes.

Either way your right as rain, Diamondback grips will never fit a Python and the late 90's Python rubber grips did have silver medallions.

Hey, did you ever decide your feelings on your new old 22LR Trooper? It looked very nice in the pictures.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts