Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Python came with rubber grips/stocks and I found a pair of factory walnut stocks/grips to replace them. Is there a trick to installing them? Does the stock pin have to come out of the frame to facilitate installation? I tried, but just couldn't get it to line up properly and didn't want to force it. I suppose there is a chance they aren't for a Python, but they sure do look like the right ones.

Thanks in advance...

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
THe pictured grips are a pair of Third Type Colt Python grips.

The frame pin stays in.

It's not unusual for new Colt grips to be a tight fit, and to not want to go on.

I recommend putting the grips on the gun without the screw, then just gently squeezing them until they seat, then putting in the screw and snugging it down. Don't over tighten.

If the grips fail to match up with the frame and each other, you may have to so some light fitting.

To do this, you may remove a slight amount of wood from the holes the frame pin fits into so you can shift the grips around until they fit.

Then, coat the frame with a heavy coat of wax, like Johnson's Paste Floor Wax, mix a bit of 5 minute epoxy and put it in and around the holes or other loose areas.
Quickly install the grips, shift the grips until they are aligned, then snug the screw up.

Let stand for 20 minutes, remove and clean everything up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dfariswheel. My Python was manufactured in 1984, so the 3rd type of grip is correct?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got 'em on...all it took was a firm squeeze and they went right into place. They Python looks a thousand times better!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Got 'em on...all it took was a firm squeeze and they went right into place. They Python looks a thousand times better!

Thanks again!

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do not over tighten the screw. I had a 1956 (1st gen stocks) where someone had over tightened and messed up the nut. I never could back that screw out.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
The Third Type is "correct" for a 1984 Python.

Enjoy, you have the finest quality revolver ever built, and a true legend in the firearms world.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have stocks that are a little loose due to the frame pin "wallowing" out the hole in the stocks in which the pin inserts.

I have some walnut Plastic Wood that I thought about using. Is this as good as the 5 minute expoxy that is mentioned in this thread and many others?

Thank you, Bill

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts
No, Plastic Wood is just wood fibers and glue. It is not strong, especially in such a small area. Grease up the pin and surrounding area, put a sufficient drop of epoxy in the hole, locate the panel where it should be and let it harden. Repeat for the other side and you are done.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The 5-minute epoxy fix, as described in dfariswheel's post from 2005 as appears above, worked like a charm. Grips (I mean stocks of course) are as tight as original.

Thanks again, Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts