Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone define the types or point to a previous post if this has already been covered? I searched but can't find it.
Photos would be great.

Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
Here's the wood Python grips. Colt also used Pachmayr and Hogue rubber grips, mostly on stainless Pythons.

FIRST TYPE: 1955 to early 1960's??
These were fully checkered, with Gold medallions on Pythons ONLY, Silver on other models.

SECOND TYPE: From early 1960's to mid-1970's??
These have the first "thumb rest" (actually a loading clearance) only on the left side, with the checkering wrapping partially around the Gold medallions.

RIGHT SIDE: Note no "thumb rest" and curved checkering around the Medallion.

THIRD TYPE: Mid-1970's to the Python Elite of the mid-1990's.
The "thumb rest" is now on both sides, and the checkering ends in a straight line under the Gold Medallion.
Color began to lighten, and quality began to decline in the mid-1980's, with patch material sometimes used to repair defects in the wood or poor fit.

NOTE: There are at least two "transition" versions of these grips, with slight differences in how the checkering pattern below the medallions is shaped.

early 1990's.

PYTHON ELITE: From the Elite model of the mid-1990's to end of production in the early 2000's.
These grips were not made by Colt, but were ordered from a grip maker.
They are made of laminated wood and were made in various colors.

SERVICE GRIPS: Service type grips were used on 2 1/2" Pythons, and sometimes appear on other lengths usually as an after-market switch.

FAKE GRIPS: Made overseas (Italy??). These sometimes have Gold Colt medallions, and may even come in Colt wrap.
Usually made of "hardwood" or cheap foreign walnut, these were sold at one time by CDNN for as little as $9.95.
These are often found on Pythons from which factory grips have been "robbed".
Colt NEVER shipped revolvers with these grips.

Last, Colt often used fancy grips on Colt Custom Shop or special order Pythons. Many of these are extra-fancy woods, and were often made in Italy.
Virtually all of these were simply close copies of the standard Target Grips. Most all have some type of commemorative or Colt medallions.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great post! Thanks.
Just looked at a set of mine that are like the the Type II in your picture, the checkering half moons under the meadallion like yours on both the L & R panels. Both also have the "thumb rest" too though.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
You may have the fairly rare Third Type early transition grip.

These transition models have the "thumb rests" on both sides, but still have the curved checkering border similar to the Second Type.
NOTE: The pictured Third Type transition grips have had the left grip modified to better fit a speed loader.
This IS NOT a factory modification.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That must be it then, as mine both look like the one on the left in your picture(right grip). Thanks.

Here is the right side view, (loaned my camera out, can't take more) but the left side is the exact same.
What type of finish did these have? It almost looks like shellac. I hit a small area with Denatured Alchol and it reacted like shellac.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Kudos to dfariswheel for making this thread one of the most informative yet!

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
811 Posts
I agree, thanks 'defaris', pictures do say a "thousand words". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
As for the "unmarked" (no medallion) yes, from talks with one of the owners of 'Sile' years ago, they did provide grips for Colt and Ruger and others and had them made in "Italy" at first putting the 'company" medallions in them , later when they 'lost ' the 'contract' they would just put in one of their 'own' Sile medallions. Then later, NO medallions at all. They must have got one hell of a price ( made a ton of them) as they have been around for sometime and still "pop up" like new.

Bottom line to "remember" the Python grips is the heighth of the checkering, you can "see" it came to 'less' coverage over the years.............................

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'll add my thanks too. Found out mine has the fourth type. Very cool.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know what finish was applied to these grips? Is it shellac?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The first four pictures are red X's for me does anyone have a copy of these they would be willing to share?

donald
[ QUOTE ]
Here's the wood Python grips. Colt also used Pachmayr and Hogue rubber grips, mostly on stainless Pythons.

FIRST TYPE: 1955 to early 1960's??
These were fully checkered, with Gold medallions on Pythons ONLY, Silver on other models.

SECOND TYPE: From early 1960's to mid-1970's??
These have the first "thumb rest" (actually a loading clearance) only on the left side, with the checkering wrapping partially around the Gold medallions.

RIGHT SIDE: Note no "thumb rest" and curved checkering around the Medallion.

THIRD TYPE: Mid-1970's to the Python Elite of the mid-1990's.
The "thumb rest" is now on both sides, and the checkering ends in a straight line under the Gold Medallion.
Color began to lighten, and quality began to decline in the mid-1980's, with patch material sometimes used to repair defects in the wood or poor fit.

NOTE: There are at least two "transition" versions of these grips, with slight differences in how the checkering pattern below the medallions is shaped.

early 1990's.

PYTHON ELITE: From the Elite model of the mid-1990's to end of production in the early 2000's.
These grips were not made by Colt, but were ordered from a grip maker.
They are made of laminated wood and were made in various colors.

SERVICE GRIPS: Service type grips were used on 2 1/2" Pythons, and sometimes appear on other lengths usually as an after-market switch.

FAKE GRIPS: Made overseas (Italy??). These sometimes have Gold Colt medallions, and may even come in Colt wrap.
Usually made of "hardwood" or cheap foreign walnut, these were sold at one time by CDNN for as little as $9.95.
These are often found on Pythons from which factory grips have been "robbed".
Colt NEVER shipped revolvers with these grips.

Last, Colt often used fancy grips on Colt Custom Shop or special order Pythons. Many of these are extra-fancy woods, and were often made in Italy.
Virtually all of these were simply close copies of the standard Target Grips. Most all have some type of commemorative or Colt medallions.

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am having the same problem with the red "x"s. When I click on "properties" it appears they were changed on photobucket, at least when compared to the properties of the pictures that do show up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts