Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. My first post here, though I'm a regular on several other gun related forums. Just found this site a few days ago.

Anyway, I have a 6" stainless Python which I bought new in the early 80's. S/N K99*** which indicated it was mfg in 1983. The gun came new with the usual wood grips and also a pair of Colt Pachmyer(sp?) black rubber grips. As I recall, the rubber grips were on the gun when I picked it up and the wood grips were in the box (where they remain to this day). My question is this: Did the Python come with the Colt medalion Pachmyer grips or did my dealer buddy that ordered the gun for me add them to the order. I definately didn't order them with the gun, but it's possible my friend the dealer did, or perhaps even had them in stock and took it upon himself to add them. Just curious. I note from some other posts that my mint never used wood grips have appreciated somewhat over the years!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
The stainless Pythons usually came with the Pachmayr Presentation Model grips with gold Colt medallions.

As always with Colt, this was subject to variation, and I'm sure some were shipped with walnut Target model grips, but "standard" was black rubber.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, speaking of variations, I'm now informed that when I bought the gun it came with the "pretty" wood grips installed, and that I put those "ugly" black grips on it when I got it home.(She says I have other "memory farts" as well.) In any event, both sets of grips apparently did come with the gun. Is that normal? I was told by the dealer at the time I bought the gun that Colt had just recently begun manufacture of the stainless Python and the guns were all tuned by the custom shop. Is that fact or salesmanship? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gifI haven't fired this gun in over 20 years, but I am going to rectify that oversight sometime later in the day if the rain will hold off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 4" SS Python came with wood grips. Serial T21XXX, year 1983. I have never been satisfied to grips without finger grooves, changed them to Hogue wood grips. Original grips are stored in good condition /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
It's very possible the very early stainless came with wood.
As I recall, 1983 WAS the first year for stainless Pythons, and several articles in gun magazines showed them with wood.

The first I actually saw were in rubber Pachmayr grips.

The business about the regular stainless guns being Custom Shop tuned is probably dealer hype.
Although it's possible Colt had extra tuning done until they had more experience with stainless, I doubt this, since the Custom Shop always put their sticker on the box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
dfariswheel:
several articles in gun magazines showed them with wood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Here is one example. Guns&Ammo magazine @October 1982.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts