Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new (new to me anyway) excellent condition. Here are some Pics of the grips they look like original Colt grips but the bottom of them has a silver plate. I have never seen this before, is there any chance that these came this way from Colt?

·
Registered
810 Posts
No, it did not come that way. This feature , of the metal (mostly aluminum) was done by a lot of gunshops back many years ago, in the 70's mostly. I know we did quite a few of them ourselves, by the customers request ONLY, as I felt this 'ruined' the value of the gun/grips, but was "the thing to do". Why not , we got paid for it...............
I seem to remember some writer or cop from way back, this was his 'trademark', saved on wear and tear and messing up the grips when they 'worked' some-one over?????

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dant:

Thanks for the info, are these still original Colt grips (just like to know) this is not going anywhere soon my other Python was getting lonely in the safe.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
The stocks are original Colt's but look refinished. As mentioned the plate is an add-on.

Edited to add: The stocks probably came with the gun, as the stock screw is nickel which was a feature of those early nickel guns. Someone along the way decided to modify them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the info (everyone) knowing all of that makes it that much more nicer to me. The gun is in great shape, I serial #'d it it was made in 1968 so for being that old it is in great shape, I might have to look for a original pair of grips but I will keep these.

Thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts