Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All I need advice on the following 1-When slow cocking my python the bolt drops and the rises half way to hit the ramp last 1/3 and close to the opening in the cylinder 2-it does not lock till I pull the trigger3- is it the hand ,is it the bolt or the ratchet ,or the rebound lever

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Probably the hand. Does it cycle and lock up properly when cocked at normal speed with rounds in chamber? A slight lag in lock up is somewhat common but still means it is out of time and is going to need repair. It may function for quite a while if it locks up at normal cocking speed but only shows the problem when you are trying to make the bolt drop late. Repair is fairly easy for this problem and it is considered normal maintenance for this type of action. The hand can be stretched which is the typical repair for this problem and the Jerry Kuhnhausen book, Colt Double action Revolvers a shop manual ,Volume l gives detailed instructions for you to follow or for a local gunsmith.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The book is very detailed on what is required to stretch the hand. If you have mechanical ability you should be able to do it. I see in another post you question the ratchet needing repair? Probably not since what you describe is normal wear in this type of gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.