Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a bright stainless 3rd gen python. It did not have the original grips on it. I purchased a beautiful original set and come to find. My python is missing the retaining pin on the lower portion of the grip frame. This pin prevents the grips from pivoting back and forth. Can anyone help me locate one? Advise? Thank you so much.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have heard that some later Pythons came with Hogue grips. The pin may have been removed or not placed in order to make room for the stirup that holds the Hogue grip on. It may be that your Python came with the Hogue grips originally.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,890 Posts
There's no such thing as a Third Generation Python.
"Generations" are used only for the Colt Single Action. Some other Colt's that were made for long periods are known as "Issues".
The Colt Python never changed enough to warrant breaking them out as Issues. They're all the same Issue.

In the mid-1990's stainless steel 4" Pythons shipped with Hogue rubber Mono-Grips for a couple of years. These had a molded Colt logo on the right side.
Hogue Rubber Mono-Grips fit WITH the grip frame pin installed and the grip has a special alignment slot for the frame pin.

The 1990's stainless 6" and 8" Pythons shipped with the Pachmayr "Presentation" rubber grip, and for most of the 1990's, other then the year of so they shipped with the Hogue rubber grip, the 4" stainless Python shipped with the Pachmayr Gripper grip.
The rubber Pachmayr grips were fitted with Gold medallions.

In other words, if you have a stainless steel Python made before the Python Elite of the late 1990's, it probably shipped with rubber grips, not wood.

The frame pin has reduced diameter ends, so a section of drill rod will not work for most grips that have holes to fit the pin, they'll have holes that will be too small.
You can buy a new pin here:

PYTHON. Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts
Part 52.

And:
http://www.coltparts.com/pt_python.html
Part 2.

Installation of a new pin is easily done by padding the jaws of a vise with brass and using the vise to press the pin in. Since the pins are usually very tight fitting, this works better then driving the pin in with a hammer.
If you have to use a hammer, you run a risk of battering and deforming the end of the pin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.