Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while I was shooting my "new to me" python, the trigger would sometimes hiccup on single action only. It performed flawlessly on double action. Only sometimes when I cocked the hammer back and placed my finger on the trigger it would disengage the trigger and not fire. It did not do this everytime but it concerns me very much. What is happening? How do I correct the issue and is it going to be costly? Thanks for your input.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,448 Posts
We need more info.
What do you mean " it would disengage the trigger and not fire".
Do you mean the hammer would catch the trigger, or not fall at all.

If when you pull the trigger in single action and it catches on the trigger, that's usually a sign someone who didn't know what he was doing attempted to lighten the trigger pull.
In the Colt action the double action strut on the hammer just barely by-passes the trigger in single action.
If someone has replaced something or tampered with the action, when the trigger is pulled in SA the double action strut can catch on the trigger and the hammer won't drop. If so, if you ease off on the trigger the hammer will follow the trigger down.

Since it could be a number of things, this is one of those things that needs a genuine Colt expert, not you local gunsmith.
You can send it in to Colt, which is the smart move, or another expert is Frank Glenn in Arizona:

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC > Customer Services > Repair & Refinish > Firearm Repair

Frank Glenn-Glenn Custom Complete Gunsmithing Service Glendale AZ

How much it will cost totally depends on what the problem is, and there's no way to know that until the revolver can be disassembled by an expert.
Big mistake..... taking it to a local gunsmith.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hammer falls but not hard enough to fire. It's reminds me of hiccups. You don't know when it will do it. 15 to 20 pulls on the trigger it's fine and then for about 2-3 pulls the trigger justs "jumps" and and the gun has to be recocked. As stated the double action has no issues. Wish I could describe it better. I read here on the forum where the DA's could get out of timing. I don't think it's that since it's so random.
Thanks for the links.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,448 Posts
That's an odd one.
It can be tough to diagnose when the problem is so intermittent.
Off hand, I can't think of anything that would slow hammer drop but not do it every time.
As said above, if something is out of order with the action, the hammer DA strut can catch or bump on the trigger and either stop or slow hammer fall.
If the action is fouled with impacted gunk, or some debris is floating around it might cause this.

You might remove the grips and spray a good lubricant into the action to flush it out and dissolve old lubricant and fouling.
Let soak over night then drain, shake, and wipe off the excess.
See if that has any effect.
If not, your best option is to send it in to Colt for a correct diagnosis and repair back to factory specifications.
Again, no local gunsmiths. Pythons are simply too valuable to risk with someone who probably doesn't really "understand" the old Colt action and can cause real damage.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Personally, I'd probably send it to Frank Glenn because he's quicker and in my opinion just as good. There is a chance you may need a new hammer, trigger, or both so having a line on parts (hammer is most likely, if the cocking notch is ruined) would be a good idea. Dfariswheel can add more here; I'm out of my league :D

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,448 Posts
Colt "may" or may not be slower, but Colt will have any parts needed, plus they'll give you gun a 100% factory level cleaning and total check up and put it in factory mechanical spec.
Glenn will probably be faster but may not have parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Either way I go joining this forum has been wonderful! I am amazed at the amount of knowledge that exist here. I own a few colts but just reading different posts I've noticed things about my guns that I never would have. Keep up the good work and thank you again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.