Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and have done some research, but I have had no luck in gathering the information that I'm looking for. I have a Python I purchased in the late 80's. It has a 3-inch barrel. I believe that it is an uncataloged barrel length. I would like to know how common it is and a ballpark value if possible. It is in 99+% condition. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
1st off, is it blue ? 2nd, how old is she ?
Did you buy it NEW in the late 80's ?
Blues the only color I've found the 3 inchers in. I guess they were made in nickel as well.
I saw a 75% condition one recently at a local show.
You've got a nice piece. Is the barrel marked Combat Python or just Python ?
I saw one recently sell on GB or AA, but can't recall what it brought.
Recently meaning with-in the last 6 months.
Do you have a box & paperwork ?

I'll start the bidding at $1000.
$1200 if you've got the original box and papers. That's about all I can swing this month.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the Python royal blue and marked only "Python" on the barrel. The markings on the barrel are centered. I bought it used in the late 80's, but I do not believe it has ever been fired. It came with both small and large Python grips, but nothing else. I'm sorry, but currently it is not for sale. I was just interested in finding out some history on it and a ballpark value.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The 3-inch Pythons are quite quite desirable!!! A dealer at a recent show told me in jest that he would make me a rich man if I could provide him with 15 3" Pythons. Obviously, that is an exaggeration, but you get the idea!

By the way, they were cataloged briefly in that barrel length.

[This message has been edited by 22-rimfire (edited 04-14-2005).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Rimfire,
Did that dealer give you any idea how many were made or when? Do you happen to know when they were cataloged? Did he give you any idea on the price of just one? I can't manage 15 either! Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
The first 3" Pythons were made for a big distributor, Lew Horton I "think".

These are variously known as "Combat Pythons" or sometimes "California Combat Pythons".

After the short run, Colt offered it as a briefly cataloged, regular production item.
It was offered in Blue, possibly in nickel, and possibly in stainless steel.

As to how many were actually made, only Colt knows.

There weren't many 3" Pythons made, and prices usually run from HIGH to INSANE.

There is one problem:
After Colt discontinued the 3" guns, they sold an unknown number of left-over 3" barrels to Gun Parts Corporation, who in turn sold them to the public.

MANY of the 3" Pythons you find are non-factory conversions using one of the Gun Parts surplused 3" barrels.

So the bottom line on the 3" Pythons is, a genuine factory model is worth big bucks, BUT be SURE what you have, because fakes are common.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks dfariswheel. Mine doesn't look like it's been tampered with, but I guess I'll contact Colt and see if it can be authinticated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I located the 3-inch Python. It has a red ramp front sight, I'm not sure if it's original and the serial number is K871xx. The blueing matches on the barrel and frame, the barrel seems to be original to the revolver. Any idea when it was made and if the red ramp in a factory option on the Python? Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
K871xx is a 1982 version.
The year started at K75748 and ended with K99998.

Colt was using red front sight inserts by then.

·
Registered
794 Posts
dfariswheel how sure are you about the use of the red insert sight in the year 1982? As I recall, none of my literature mentions any use of the red insert sight on the Python that early. Same with other Colt revolvers.

The earliest use of the red insert front sight I can find is 1985. Please identify your source for the usage of the such a site in 1982.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
My info is nothing more than a SWAG.....A guess.

My mistake, I failed to ID it as such.

I just seemed to remember seeing red inserts in the early 80's, and I seem to remember the 3" Pythons always having red.

Sorry for the failure to say this wasn't HARD INFO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Curiosity being a weakness of mine, I decided to pop for a Colt factory letter. I ordered it today. The lady at the archive center told me they would have the documentation in "only" 100 days! I guess they're just so currently swamped with demands for their pricely letters, they can't get it out any quicker. Oh well. When I get the official confirmation, I'll post it here. Thanks to all for the information on my revolver.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'll dig through my catalogs on the Python as far as the front sight goes. It would only be a guide as Colt is known for offering non-cataloged variations.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I did manage to find that the Python Hunter of 1981 displays a orange insert front sight and white outline rear. So it wasn't as much of a SWAG as you might have thought Dfariswheel. Yet no Python or MkIII Trooper show the insert front sight. Nor does the sales catalog make any reference to such sights other than on the Python Hunter.

I know for a fact in 1985 the colored insert front sight was available on common production Pythons and MKIII Troopers, as well as some Custom Shop guns such as the Boa. I think I researched this once before and came to the conclusion that 1985 was the water mark for standard usage of the colored insert front sight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All I can say is that the red ramp in the pinned in front sight looks very "factory" to me. If this Python does factory letter as a true 3-inch revolver (with red ramp front sight), I would still like to know a ballpark figure on it's worth. I don't have the box, but it is in 99% plus condition as are both sets of grips (service and target) that came with it. I am basically a Smith & Wesson revolver and Colt .22 collector, so the value of Pythons is a bit of a mystery to me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts